Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect

Posted by clownscrytoo @clownscrytoo, Oct 22, 2016

Is there anyone here that suffers from fibro? I had the 'tender spot test' several years ago and I had 17 out of the 18. I try my hardest to get through the pain with my 4 hydrocodone/acetaminaphine pills a day, Tiger Balm rubbed into areas that are the worst, light exercises, and distracting myself with hobbies or chores, etc; but there are many occasions where none of that helps and I spend most of the day holding down the couch, getting up about 30-45 minutes after that, walking/standing around the house for 15-20 minutes, or sitting for about 15-30 min. I do not drive and my husband works 6 days a week, overtime almost every day, so I'm alone a lot. my wonderful husband is very supportive and I am very grateful for that, but my only other friends are online, out of state, and I will probably never even get to meet them. when extreme pain takes over, my depression takes over and it is so difficult to find hope. does anyone have tips for fibro, whether diet or over-the-counter meds (I've tried them all, I think), or anything, besides hobbies and such? I've tried every over-the-counter med, and the Tiger Balm does cover some of what the pain pill doesn't help, but I'm hoping one of our members might have some knowledge that could help. I'd really appreciate it.
hugz,
Clownscrytoo

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Fibromyalgia Support Group.

As I peruse some of the comments I find those with fibro also have other problems. I was wondering if this is common in most with fibro or due to aging plus fibro. I know I have other issues and when one thing acts up every thing else does. I also have learned not to mention pain as red flags go up and the doctor no longer listens and tells me to get out and walk. Not when the weather is still in the 20's. Things have worsened and walking is not going to fix things. Maybe it is because I am old and don't need quality of life from the perspective of doctors.

@parus

As I peruse some of the comments I find those with fibro also have other problems. I was wondering if this is common in most with fibro or due to aging plus fibro. I know I have other issues and when one thing acts up every thing else does. I also have learned not to mention pain as red flags go up and the doctor no longer listens and tells me to get out and walk. Not when the weather is still in the 20's. Things have worsened and walking is not going to fix things. Maybe it is because I am old and don't need quality of life from the perspective of doctors.

Jump to this post

GOOD MORNING,
I WAS TOLD THAT FIBRO IS AN AUTO-IMMUNE CONDITION. IF THIS IS THE CASE, THEN IT WOULD STAND TO REASON THAT OTHER AUTO-IMMUNE CONDITIONS MIGHT POP UP.
AS I RE-LOOK AT THE DIAGRAMS FOR FIBRO, AND I READ THE SYPMTOMS, IT RE-ESTABLISHES, IN MY MIND THAT THERE IS GOOD REASON WHY TREATING IT CAN BE SO DIFFICULT.
IT HAS BEEN YEARS AND YEARS SINCE I'VE DONE ANY READING ON FIBRO. SADLY, NOT TOO MUCH HAS CHANGED.
AS WE ALL KNOW, FIBRO IS DIAGNOSED BY A MEANS OF DISCOUNTING OTHER AILMENTS.
YET, AS I READ MORE ABOUT IT, FIBRO CERTAINLY CROSSED OVER MANY CONDITIONS WITH SIMILAR, IF NOT EXACT SYMPTOMS.
SO, I CAN SEE WHY IT MAKES IT HARD FOR A DOC TO TREAT, OTHER THAN GIVING PAIN MEDS TO MAKE THE DAY DO-A-BLE.
NOW, THEY CAN GIVE LOTS OF DIFFERENT MEDS ASSUMING THAT WHAT IS BEING FELT REALLY IS FIBRO AND NOT ONE OF THE OTHER CONDITIONS THAT ARE SO SIMILAR.
DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE SENSE TO YOU?
I AM NOT SURE IT MAKES SENSE TO ME.
BTW...IF YOUR DOC DOES NOT THINK YOU DESERVE A GOOD QUALITY OF LIFE BASED ON YOUR AGE, THEN YOU NEED A NEW DOC!!!

TA-TA
Ronnie (GRANDMAr)

Yes it does mimic other diseases but 30 yrs ago there wasn't diseases like we have today so it's suspicious to me remember back then and until recently most Dr,s said it's all in our heads.Why couldn't 30 yrs ago they start working on a cause @cure? One thing John found was a paper from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PNC4303846 talks about fibro way down in article @fermented foods ,sauerkraut pickles May be a cure I know vinegar kills germs so make sense read article ,as I told Peach pickle juice is good for that sudden leg cramp found out myself.

@dais

I am going to be with my grandson today. I always make up excuses to not see him because I'm embarrassed by not being able to do much with him. I've been in a Fibro flare for a long time. Sometimes I think winter has a bad effect on me. Does anyone else suffer worse in the winter?

Jump to this post

Hello @lioness, I appreciate your unwavering support of our other members and participation in the Connect community. I just want to reiterate that it is best to consult medical professionals with any change, addition, or subtraction of medications or supplements. Many alternative medicines have been proven to be beneficial, however, not all alternative medicines are created equal and it would be best to consult a professional opinion. While we don't discourage members from sharing resources and experiences, I just wanted to add that resources on the internet should be discussed with your provider as well. I look forward to reading your encouraging responses to the other members and the support that you have offered them.

@parus

Jump to this post

@parus, I understand the walking thoughts. Not because of weather, but because I hate walking simply to be walking. I have a new psych and asked for some adjustment to some of my meds and she immediately wanted me off my benzo (klonopin) because of the affect on the CNS and depression of breathing which is also caused by the opiates I take for my pancreatitis. I explained up front that if part of her therapy would include walking for exercise, she could save that speech. If I am able to walk, I can play golf and that is much more pleasant exercise to me than walking.

@lioness

Yes it does mimic other diseases but 30 yrs ago there wasn't diseases like we have today so it's suspicious to me remember back then and until recently most Dr,s said it's all in our heads.Why couldn't 30 yrs ago they start working on a cause @cure? One thing John found was a paper from ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/PNC4303846 talks about fibro way down in article @fermented foods ,sauerkraut pickles May be a cure I know vinegar kills germs so make sense read article ,as I told Peach pickle juice is good for that sudden leg cramp found out myself.

Jump to this post

As an aside, athletes are often told to drink pickle juice before a strenuous game (football, soccer, and anything wear one perspires a lot) to prevent muscle cramping. Helps prevent dehydration.

@parus

Jump to this post

@gman007 Chuckling at this comment and I hear you. If I have a goal involved other than walking for the sake of walking-no way!!! How people do treadmills is beyond me. There are days I am unable to walk which in the winter is most of them. I do well to do my daily tasks. I do the best I can and no longer force myself pass my own limits. Lazy has never been in my vocabulary. I will admit I never did see the purpose in chasing a ball around with a set of clubs. Loved tennis though.

@dais

I am going to be with my grandson today. I always make up excuses to not see him because I'm embarrassed by not being able to do much with him. I've been in a Fibro flare for a long time. Sometimes I think winter has a bad effect on me. Does anyone else suffer worse in the winter?

Jump to this post

Justin you hAve told me this twice now IDont tell people whY to take I give them information only I Tell them what works for Me ,since I'm not to your m king I won't post anymore !

@dais

Jump to this post

I apologize if my intention came across poorly, that was not what I meant and also did not mean to prevent you from posting. You make a great point about how you have not told any member to try these things and only have shared what worked for you. The reason I mentioned it again was because this is such a long thread that our posts can get lost in the shuffle and I felt it was important to remind the group of the importance of consulting our providers from time to time. I do hope you do not feel that I intended to prevent you from posting as I know the community appreciates your supportive posts.

@dais

Jump to this post

Well said. And what works for the goose may not work for the gander. Don’t know what dusty 20th century place in my brain I pulled that from. Chronic pain can be so debilitating, and we all want something that will work.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.