Fibromyalgia pain: Let's connect

Posted by clownscrytoo @clownscrytoo, Oct 22, 2016

Is there anyone here that suffers from fibro? I had the 'tender spot test' several years ago and I had 17 out of the 18. I try my hardest to get through the pain with my 4 hydrocodone/acetaminaphine pills a day, Tiger Balm rubbed into areas that are the worst, light exercises, and distracting myself with hobbies or chores, etc; but there are many occasions where none of that helps and I spend most of the day holding down the couch, getting up about 30-45 minutes after that, walking/standing around the house for 15-20 minutes, or sitting for about 15-30 min. I do not drive and my husband works 6 days a week, overtime almost every day, so I'm alone a lot. my wonderful husband is very supportive and I am very grateful for that, but my only other friends are online, out of state, and I will probably never even get to meet them. when extreme pain takes over, my depression takes over and it is so difficult to find hope. does anyone have tips for fibro, whether diet or over-the-counter meds (I've tried them all, I think), or anything, besides hobbies and such? I've tried every over-the-counter med, and the Tiger Balm does cover some of what the pain pill doesn't help, but I'm hoping one of our members might have some knowledge that could help. I'd really appreciate it.
hugz,
Clownscrytoo

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Fibromyalgia Support Group.

@oregongirl

@dals, I am so sorry to hear of the road you have traveled. I believe I could say I know some of what you have faced. Every doctor has said, well, I don't know maybe your need more rest, or lets check this and that. How many years did I walk this earth and did not know I had RA. Now I found out I am at Stage 3 on Kidney Disease...How long has that gone overlooked. I finally have an appt at the Pain Clinic at the University. I really don't want any narcodics. But, a stronger dose of Ibprophen. I pray that you have some relief. Even a day of no pain will make you feel like there is a chance that you will someday be pain free.

Jump to this post

Yes oregongirl it is hard on liver as well as kidneys.Did you ever take Tramadol?

@oregongirl
I took a lot of ibuprofen daily before being diagnosed with migraines. As a result, I burned holes in my stomach. I can never use any NSAIDS of any kind now. I have recurring stomach problems and ulcers as a result. So, I encourage you to consider other alternatives to NSAIDS.

Even though I used Tramadol 50 mg for my pain, and I knew I might have problems getting off of it, I decided that it was OK because I might need them for the rest of my life. I have withdrawn from them now, but if I need them in the future I will take them. I had no discernible side effects from Tramadol, unlike other medications I have used, and it helped relieve my back pain from DDD, spondyliothesis, laminectomy surgery, cervical radiculopathy, and C7 compression fracture from a fall. I am now having ART Therapy which is relieving my pain even better. (I don't think RA or fibromyalgia would respond well to ART Therapy.)

I hope you find some relief from your pain.

Regards, GailB
Volunteer Mentor

@oregongirl

@dals, I am so sorry to hear of the road you have traveled. I believe I could say I know some of what you have faced. Every doctor has said, well, I don't know maybe your need more rest, or lets check this and that. How many years did I walk this earth and did not know I had RA. Now I found out I am at Stage 3 on Kidney Disease...How long has that gone overlooked. I finally have an appt at the Pain Clinic at the University. I really don't want any narcodics. But, a stronger dose of Ibprophen. I pray that you have some relief. Even a day of no pain will make you feel like there is a chance that you will someday be pain free.

Jump to this post

OREGON GIRL....
I KNOW THAT NARCODICS ARE NOT THE BEST IDEA, BUT NEIGHT IF HIGH DOSES OF IBUPROPHEN. IBURPROPHEN, EVEN THE OVER THE COUNTER STRENGTH, CAN EAT AWAY AT THE LINING OF YOUR STOMACH. I WAS TAKING LARGE DOSES FOR A WHILE AND I DEVELOPED SO MANY ISSUES. THANK GOODNESS, WHEN I STOPPED AND HAD WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY, SYMPTOMS FROM THE IBURPROPHEN WENT AWAY. I AM SURE THERE ARE OTHER AREAS OF THE BODY THAT MIGHT HAVE NEGATIVE EFFECTS. PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH. BTW....I CERTAINLY UNDERSTAND YOUR CONCERN ABOUT NARCOTICS, THAT IS WHY I DO NOT TAKE PAIN KILLERS VERY OFTEN AND WHEN I DO, IT IS USUALLY UNDER THE PRESCRIBED AMOUNT.
RONNIE

@oregongirl

Jump to this post

HI LIONESS
I WAS GIVEN TRAMADOL WHEN I HAD AN INFECTION IN MY WISDOM TOOTH. FOR ME, IT WORKED GREAT! FOR ME, IT WORKS BETTER THAN HYDROCODONE AND OXYCODONE, BUT EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT.
RONNIE

@dais

Hi. I am new to this site and have never posted anything before so I'm not sure if this will work. Fingers crossed. I am 47 and in so much pain and am hoping to find some inspiration on how to live again. I've been burned, blocked, injected, medicated, psychologized, specialized, ugh. I'm sure you all know the drill..... any words of wisdom ?

Jump to this post

@dais

Welcome to Mayo Connect. I am a Volunteer Mentor and not a medical professional. We do not give medical diagnoses in the community. However, we do share our personal experiences, in the hope that we and others here can find some relief or further information about their situations by sharing.

I am sorry to hear that you are suffering so much pain. Can you please let us know more about your pain issues? Also, more specific information about the things you have tried that did or didn't work for you?

We recognize that each of us is different, and what works for one person may not work for another. I have found this community to be very supportive and open to new and different ideas on how to deal with pain.

Warm regards,
GailB
Volunteer Mentor

@oregongirl

I forgot to let you know that I also developed heart arrhythmias while I was taking ibuprofen. I had palpitations often, and had tachycardia several times. When I stopped taking ibuprofen, my arrhythmias and tachycardia stopped as well.

GailB
Volunteer Mentor

@oregongirl

Jump to this post

Yes it does U was given this for my back in 05 and the rheumatologist kept me on it for fibro I was just reading 1Peter 4 re-read it interesting why Christians suffer.

@oregongirl

Jump to this post

I started out at 3a day in 05 now down to 1@night for sleep

@oregongirl

Jump to this post

I have been prescribed Tramadol. Its ok! But something everyone states does not work for them is Gabapentin. It works great. Pain pills only take the edge off, but the not the pain away. Sometimes I want a bigger edge taken off.

Lioness, YES I use Tramadol. Everyone it seems does. It helps but not the cure all. I did not know you could become addicted to Tramadol. I see my doctor in 2 weeks and I wonder how she will take the news that I stopped my Methotrexate. I am going to start PT and I see the pain doctor in MAY. Long waits here.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.