Epiphany about Neuropathy May 2024

Posted by dianecary @dianecary, May 15 11:11pm

I was a Flight Attendant for 30 years. I had to retire due to unresolved Plantar Fasciitis and Neuropathy later on. My
experience is this:
Never give up. Keep trying different treatments until you find the
best ones for yourself.
I recently was referred to a Pain Doctor who specializes in
Neuropathy. I researched Gabapentin. I have an 88yr.
young Sister-in-law who gardens every day and is on 2600ml
per day. That is considered the very high range. I decided to see
a doctor who is very proficient in dosing the drug. I am feeling
improvement and more tolerance with increased activity. We
have increased my dosage to 1800ml (600ml 3 X per day).
She also recommended I try Capsaicin Pain Relief Cream.
.1%. It is made from peppers. I tried it on the bottom of my feet
the next evening. It got hot, and then it felt like it was burning. I
put socks on my feet and went to bed. The next day I experienced
a miraculous phenomenon, my feet had stopped buzzing. I almost
felt completely normal. Search online for "Capsaicin and Neuropathy."
Each day varies, but I am very hopeful. My Natural path doctor has
me taking high doses of B Complex Vitamins and Multiple Vitamins
that contain Thiamine for breakfast and lunch, always with food.
Good luck!
Let me know if you could use more suggestions since I have many modalities we can all try. Ok, I'll throw this one in. Castor
Oil(Organic) is a great deep healer. Rub it on your feet, and put on socks. Also, you can put it in your belly button. How did we originally get all of our nutrients? 🤷🏼‍♀️ Diane

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

I have 6 tube's of Capsaicin cream 0.025% that I am giving away. I tried several trials of Capsaicin and QUTENZA. Capsaicin didn't help me so I will give these to anyone who might be able to use it.
Post here and we can make arrangements.

@26sabrina

I have 6 tube's of Capsaicin cream 0.025% that I am giving away. I tried several trials of Capsaicin and QUTENZA. Capsaicin didn't help me so I will give these to anyone who might be able to use it.

Jump to this post

I would love to have it. I'm sure I am probably late. If you do not reply I'll assume I was too late.

Pete Murphy

@fmurohy0128

I would love to have it. I'm sure I am probably late. If you do not reply I'll assume I was too late.

Pete Murphy

Jump to this post

Welcome Pete @fmurohy0128, You will notice that we removed your email address to protect your privacy since Connect is a public forum and anyone with an Internet connect can view your email address. Members can share personal contact information using the private message feature of Connect. More information can be found in the Help Center - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/help-center/.

@26sabrina

Jump to this post

I would love a tube of Capsaicin creme! Thank you for sharing those. How would it work with shipping though? Wondering if the cost of shipping to certain areas could be greater than the cost of the cream?

I am using a pain killer 5% lidocaine cream to some effect. Doesn’t make pain like OTC, but 5% requires a prescription. I would try that. Also helps other aches and pains.

I was very interested in your doctor friends advice on the use of vitamins, can you post his advice.
I’d also like to know how many of us take lipoic acid and what the consensus of opinion is re it’s effectiveness.
I’ve seen several clinical trials and they’ve always been positive.
John

@cantab

I am using a pain killer 5% lidocaine cream to some effect. Doesn’t make pain like OTC, but 5% requires a prescription. I would try that. Also helps other aches and pains.

Jump to this post

I also used lidocaine 5% until I read about it on WEB MD that using it on large areas is not advisable because it will cause liver damage. I also talked to my doctor about it and got the same information.

Be careful with B6 it can accumulate in your system and cause B6 toxicity. That will make your neuropathy worse. It takes years to reverse B6 toxicity because it’s in the foods we eat. I was told to only take a mulivitamin every other day or a half of one every other day. Dr Anne Oaklander has a YouTube lecture and it includes B6 neurotoxicity. She has been researching neuropathy since 2015.

@bigjohnscho

I was very interested in your doctor friends advice on the use of vitamins, can you post his advice.
I’d also like to know how many of us take lipoic acid and what the consensus of opinion is re it’s effectiveness.
I’ve seen several clinical trials and they’ve always been positive.
John

Jump to this post

I had an allergic reaction to the alpha lipoic acid be careful.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.