Share this:

blrtruth
@blrtruth

Clostridium Difficile Colitis

Posted by @blrtruth, Aug 2, 2011

Does anyone know much about the course of this condition? Can it ever be gotten rid of? I have been dealing with it now for over 7 months and the symptoms have not changed much …. even after 6 weeks with Vancomycin and 2 weeks of Xifaxan. So far nothing has been very effective. Yes, I am taking a Probiotic (generic form of Align) and eating 1-2 containers of yogurt each day. I am searching for answers. My head is feeling only slightly better since being off all the antihistamines and the above mentioned antibiotics. I only pray that there may be some relief in the future. I would appreciate any comments from anyone that has dealt with this Clostridium Difficile Colitis. Thankyou,,,,,,,,,,,,

RobBaxter
@robbaxter

Posted by @robbaxter, Aug 2, 2011

Where are you from? Who is your doctor? There is a new medication for C Diff called Dificid. You may want to check it out and ask your doctor.

blrtruth
@blrtruth

Posted by @blrtruth, Aug 3, 2011

Rob, Thankyou. I am scheduled to see my doctor tomorrow. I will ask him about this “Dificid”. I stopped the Xifaxan (last Thursday morning was the last dose). My head is getting much better since being off this antibiotic. My primary concern now is that I am retaining fluids mostly in my abdomen….. and if I go out to mow the lawn … I lose 6-8 lbs within 2 hours. The weight loss is mostly all water weight. Normally, I would lose only a couple pounds when out in the sun like that.
Thankyou for your reply………

blrtruth
@blrtruth

Posted by @blrtruth, Aug 3, 2011

Oh yes, I am from Ft. Dodge, Iowa and my doctor is a gastrointestinal doctor at the regional hospital here. Initially, back in December when I first broke out with the hives, I went to Dr. Francisco Cabrera who is an Allergy Doctor. All he did was put me on Prednisone and antihistamines and then told me to come back in 6 months if I still had problems. I felt that he was incompetant so I went to Dr. Adams’ office where they ordered lab work that confirmed my diagnosis for C-Diff. But now knowing the diagnosis and after having been put on the generally prescribed Vancomycin and Xifaxan for this condition, and my symptoms still not getting resolved, I am looking to more options. My appt. at the Mayo Clinic is not until Sept. 20 so that is a month and a half away. I wish there were doctors that knew how to treat this condition.

jan7276
@jan7276

Posted by @jan7276, Aug 3, 2011

I had this last summer. I had not heard of it before. I became dehydrated and was admitted in to the hospital for three days. I have had several bouts of it. Finally figured out it was antibiotic induced. I rarely take antibiotics. The last time I was sick, my doctor gave me Cipro and Flagyl and that worked. But I live I fear of having to take an antibiotic. I am facing a spinal fusion surgery and will be given an antibiotic. Told my dr I had to have a full dose of vancomycin with it. There is a very good support group on line, I think it is ciidiff.com but you can google it. It as a lot of different experiences. I hope you get relief and peace. Take care.

Pattiannk1941
@pattiannk1941

Posted by @pattiannk1941, Sep 9, 2011

This is miserable stuff and ties me at hone. I am taking flagyl and ciprocin.. I usually have an explosive watert stool after eating. I an extremely bloated in my upper left rib cage which is quite uncomfortable. I also have Addison’s disease and hypothyroid which complicate it somewhat. If I were you I would wait until his bacterial infection is passed before any type of surgery. I postpone cataract surgery. Wishing you the very best fidgeting this bug. It is a nasty one.

sprinklergal66
@sprinklergal66

Posted by @sprinklergal66, Nov 5, 2011

Get your Dr. to stop the ciprocin. It causes C- Diff.

sprinklergal66
@sprinklergal66

Posted by @sprinklergal66, Nov 5, 2011

Yes. I’ve had this for 2 years. After the xifaxan, my Dr. wants to do a fecal transplant if the xifaxan doesn’t work. I have 3 days left to take the xifaxan. I feel pretty good actually. Better than I have felt in 2 years! Vancomycin did nothing for me.4 or 5 days after a long pulsing dose, I’d start with the mucous again. I an praying that the xifaxan will do the trick. Oh, I got it from a course of Cipro, killed all the good bacteria, lowered my potassium level and stopped my heart. So I now have a pacemaker to control the destroyed ventrical of my heart . Great right? I am however among the lucky 2% who survive ventricular fibrillation. So for that I am truly grateful.

Please login or register to post a reply.