High or Fluctuating Chromogranin A Level: What does it mean?

Posted by kaforester3 @kaforester3, Apr 24, 2020

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place or not but I started this conversation here bc my Levels were so high. Has anyone ever had levels that high and what did the doctor say was wrong with you? I’m kind of freaking out bc they are jumping right in and sending me to get a octreotide scan in the next week. Someone please help me because the GI doctor isn’t saying anything.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs) Support Group.

@hopeful33250

Hi @tracyfurtiscaudle

In August you posted about your high Chromogranin A level and you were trying different treatments. I hope you are feeling better.

I would enjoy hearing from you. Could you post an update?

Jump to this post

Yes. I am seeing a homeopathic doctor still. Detoxification of my GI Organs; as well as helping me reduce my PPI intake. (Proton pump inhibitors/nexium). I am scheduled for another Chromogranin A blood test in a couple of weeks; I should have in September but needed some downtime from the medical scene.
I have not been back to the oncologist; depends on upcoming bloodwork. My PET scan was w/in normal limits, but my GI doc says I will be further monitored.
I am truly saddened to hear about your medical diagnosis.
Please let me know if I can be of any further help.

@tracyfurtiscaudle

Yes. I am seeing a homeopathic doctor still. Detoxification of my GI Organs; as well as helping me reduce my PPI intake. (Proton pump inhibitors/nexium). I am scheduled for another Chromogranin A blood test in a couple of weeks; I should have in September but needed some downtime from the medical scene.
I have not been back to the oncologist; depends on upcoming bloodwork. My PET scan was w/in normal limits, but my GI doc says I will be further monitored.

Jump to this post

I'm glad to hear that you are feeling better @tracyfurtiscaudle. I hope that your blood work shows an improvement in the Chromogranin A levels.

I would enjoy hearing from you. Will you post an update?

@tracyfurtiscaudle

Jump to this post

My symptoms have lessened with a restricted diet-low histamine diet & gluten-free. Also, I continue to use the DAO (diamone oxidase supplement) since my body lacks this enzyme. I am scheduled for another Chromogranin A test; recently had an SIBO test( results pending). I am feeling better with GI supplements I take daily per my homeopathic doctor. I have portal hypertension as well so my GI system has been compromised for some time. I will probably have to remain on this low histamine diet/blockers indefinitely due to my PHT; further complicates my food tolerance issue. My doctors will continue to test my Chromogranin A levels; my new routine bloodwork. Most of all, I am learning to keep my stress levels down. The PET scan process alone was an extremely stressful & worrisome process not only for me, but for my family as well. Staying active definitely helps me remain more positive & in a better mindset. Best to you & your health.

@dbmenger

Thank you! My scan was negative; the urine test normal and my latest chro blood level is 393, which my doctor feels is normal (?).

Jump to this post

My latest chromosome test was 493 (!). Right now I’m also dealing with IBS, a UTI and a yeast infection. This is truly discouraging.

@dbmenger

My latest chromosome test was 493 (!). Right now I’m also dealing with IBS, a UTI and a yeast infection. This is truly discouraging.

Jump to this post

Oh, dbmenger, this sounds terribly discouraging. Have you got medication to help clear the UTI and yeast infection? Do they further upset the digestive system?

I am being evaluated for a host of symptoms...including flushing, spiking BP that is episodic, fast heart rate, GI distess in small bowel and lower bowel. I had stage VI metastatic pancreatic cancer 6 years ago. After treatment I have been totally in remission! Miracle. These newish symptoms came on maybe 6 months ago. My Chromogranin A is 5727! Yes, I take PPIs and yes I have chronic kidney disease (moderate); I have diabetes treated with insulin. I am going to get a PET/CT dototate (gallium I think) Feb 9 I just did the 24 hour 5 HIAA urine yesterday. Anyone have any thoughts on the outrageous hgh CGA? i also have Polymyalgia rheumatica new since july. I take 10 mg prednisone daily since then. Thanks for any input out there! Sharon

@microbe1943

I am being evaluated for a host of symptoms...including flushing, spiking BP that is episodic, fast heart rate, GI distess in small bowel and lower bowel. I had stage VI metastatic pancreatic cancer 6 years ago. After treatment I have been totally in remission! Miracle. These newish symptoms came on maybe 6 months ago. My Chromogranin A is 5727! Yes, I take PPIs and yes I have chronic kidney disease (moderate); I have diabetes treated with insulin. I am going to get a PET/CT dototate (gallium I think) Feb 9 I just did the 24 hour 5 HIAA urine yesterday. Anyone have any thoughts on the outrageous hgh CGA? i also have Polymyalgia rheumatica new since july. I take 10 mg prednisone daily since then. Thanks for any input out there! Sharon

Jump to this post

Hello @microbe1943

I'm sure you feel concerned! Between the symptoms you've experienced and the high CGA level it is understandable. However, I would urge you to breathe deeply and give yourself a rest from thinking of the worst case scenario. I know this is easier said than done but as you know there are other factors that can contribute to a high CGA.

Since you have a PET/CT scan scheduled, I encourage you to wait for the results and give yourself a break from thinking about this. Do you have a good support group in place? If so, reach out and see if you can make plans to get together and have lunch or see a movie. Whatever you can do for some rest and relaxation is important during this waiting period.

Do you have someone you can call?

@dbmenger

Jump to this post

Hello @dbmenger

It has been a while since you last posted. How are the IBS symptoms? Has the UTI been resolved?

@hopeful33250

Hello @microbe1943

I'm sure you feel concerned! Between the symptoms you've experienced and the high CGA level it is understandable. However, I would urge you to breathe deeply and give yourself a rest from thinking of the worst case scenario. I know this is easier said than done but as you know there are other factors that can contribute to a high CGA.

Since you have a PET/CT scan scheduled, I encourage you to wait for the results and give yourself a break from thinking about this. Do you have a good support group in place? If so, reach out and see if you can make plans to get together and have lunch or see a movie. Whatever you can do for some rest and relaxation is important during this waiting period.

Do you have someone you can call?

Jump to this post

Thank you. Yes I have good support. Your advice is well taken!! I would feel better if my CGA were not 5727. I know PPIS and Ckd Cause elevation but I doubt 5700 width. I was a MED TECK and hospital chemist for a long time so that background is also in play! And I had stage Iv pancreatic cancer 6 years ago and was not expected to live 2 months. So taking a breath is good advice. There is a lot of history and training ti override to do this. I’m mostly successful but I’ve bee sick fir months. It’s not nothing. I know that! Thank yiu for offering good counsel!!!!

@microbe1943

Thank you. Yes I have good support. Your advice is well taken!! I would feel better if my CGA were not 5727. I know PPIS and Ckd Cause elevation but I doubt 5700 width. I was a MED TECK and hospital chemist for a long time so that background is also in play! And I had stage Iv pancreatic cancer 6 years ago and was not expected to live 2 months. So taking a breath is good advice. There is a lot of history and training ti override to do this. I’m mostly successful but I’ve bee sick fir months. It’s not nothing. I know that! Thank yiu for offering good counsel!!!!

Jump to this post

Hello @microbe1943

I surely understand your concern. I would feel the same way, no doubt. I've had three surgeries for NETs in the upper digestive tract and I do realize the value of some of those numbers combined with the symptoms. Whenever I'm faced with a new lesion, my thoughts definitely travel in the same direction that yours are right now. However, as much as possible, I use this place, Connect, to face my fears and try to put them in a proper perspective.

Keep posting here on Connect, keep breathing, and do whatever you can to distract yourself until your scans on the 9th. My thoughts are with you.

Will you post again and let me know how you are feeling?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.