High or Fluctuating Chromogranin A Level: What does it mean?

Posted by kaforester3 @kaforester3, Apr 24, 2020

I’m not sure if I’m in the right place or not but I started this conversation here bc my Levels were so high. Has anyone ever had levels that high and what did the doctor say was wrong with you? I’m kind of freaking out bc they are jumping right in and sending me to get a octreotide scan in the next week. Someone please help me because the GI doctor isn’t saying anything.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs) Support Group.

@hopeful33250

Hello @bestrong and welcome to the NETs discussion group on Mayo Connect. If you read the posts in this group, you will find a lot of information about the different reasons for an elevated CgA. Many medications or other health problems can cause an elevation in the test results. There usually is not just one test that can diagnose any disorder. There needs to be a combination of factors involved.

As this is your first post, besides the flushing, what other symptoms were you having that led to the CgA test?

Jump to this post

Hello.
I had Covid at the end of November. It took me 3 weeks to recover. Then fluctuations in the blood pressure began. My cardiologist reassured me that everything is fine with my heart and that the slightly high blood pressure is due to my hronical kidney disease. Nevertheless, at the end of February my GP decided to do many blood tests, chest x rate and 24 urine tests to be on the safe side as my blood pressure goes from low to moderate high - 140/100.
All test came back normal except CgA.
I am taking just Tritace 5 mg, iron, vitamins B and D. Actually nothing that could explain these high CgA levels. My MRI is on Monday and I am honestly really scared as on the top of everything I am quite claustrophobic.

@bestrong

Hello.
I had Covid at the end of November. It took me 3 weeks to recover. Then fluctuations in the blood pressure began. My cardiologist reassured me that everything is fine with my heart and that the slightly high blood pressure is due to my hronical kidney disease. Nevertheless, at the end of February my GP decided to do many blood tests, chest x rate and 24 urine tests to be on the safe side as my blood pressure goes from low to moderate high - 140/100.
I am taking just Tritace 5 mg, iron, vitamins B and D. Actually nothing that could explain these high CgA levels. My MRI is on Monday and I am honestly really scared as on the top of everything I am quite claustrophobic.

Jump to this post

I hope all goes well for you on Monday. I know that it is easy to say, "don't worry," but worrying only adds to the stress. The unknown is always scary.

Remember, the CgA , by itself, is not an accurate predictor of cancer, there needs to be other indications. I'm glad that your doctor is following up with the MRI. Keep in touch this weekend if you have concerns or doubts. We are here with listening ears.

Can you think of something you can do this weekend to get your mind off of medical issues? Perhaps a movie, or go out for lunch, talk with a friend?

@bestrong

Hello.

Jump to this post

@bestrong, how did you do today?

@colleenyoung

@bestrong, how did you do today?

Jump to this post

Hello @colleenyoung and thank you very much for asking.
The abdominal MRI went fine and everything looks totally OK. Thanks God!
Nevertheless, we are going to check the CgA levels again in a couple of months.
I hope that this is the right protocol to follow.

@bestrong

Jump to this post

I'm glad that the MRI looked good, @bestrong! I appreciate your update

@bestrong

Jump to this post

So proud of you, @bestrong. How did you manage to deal with your feeling of claustrophobia? What tips would you give to other people who are worried about doing an MRI?

@colleenyoung

So proud of you, @bestrong. How did you manage to deal with your feeling of claustrophobia? What tips would you give to other people who are worried about doing an MRI?

Jump to this post

Thank you!
It was hard. It was an 'open' MRI and the my husband was holding my hand and was talking to me the whole time.
My trick was to close my eyes before going inside. Nevertheless, I pushed the panic button twice.
I wouldn't recommend the open MRI as it takes much longer than a regular one - almost 1 hour.

@anxious88

@emilyliz16 I am in the same boat right now. I was checking my hormones and my CgA came back 200 (upper limit 100). How you doing? I am really stressed

Jump to this post

Hey! I repeat my CgA levels yesterday, waiting for results.
I have a PET DOTATOC scheduled for next friday.
I read you were taking PPIs? Those can rise your CgA levels.
I do not take any meds but I did no fast before the blood test. Could it elevate to 200 my levels?
My anxiety is on the roof!!!

@bestrong

Hello.

Jump to this post

Chronic kidney disease is a cause of elevated CgA

Please sign in or register to post a reply.