Chest Discomfort consistency between 2:00 and 3:00 a.m.

Posted by katriname @katriname, Nov 27, 2021

For 6 years I have been rudely awakened with pain below my sternum. I originally thought it was related to GERDS. I have been seen 2 gastroenterologist since that time and they do not have answers for me. I have had to Bravo tests done and the recent 2nd test in August 2021 says I have slight acid reflux. My doctor says it the #s were not high enough to diagnose my early morning chest pain to acid reflux. I have been to a cardiologist and did a stress test and my heart doc says the pain is not related to heart problems. One doctor thought there was a possibility of esophageal spasms and gave me a muscle relaxant (diazepam) for bedtime use. All this drug did is give me a dry mouth. I also had a pulse oximetry and it was normal.
I am at my wit's end on how to solve this problem. Most of the time I cannot fall back to sleep at these early wake up hours because of the discomfort. I do take Gaviscon when I am awakened by the pain and the seems to help but now sure why if it is not acid reflux. One gastro doc told me to take Hyoscyamine sulfate. This medication does not help me. Right now, I am thinking of seeing a psychiatrist as a last avenue. I would like to inquire why I wake up at the same time with this pain and maybe it is some form of brain chemical imbalance. I am willing to seek out all medical options. I will say that I am a trim and fit woman of 68. This condition is killing me for 5 hours of sleep is not serving me well emotionally and physically. If anyone can any ideas of what may be the culprit, I would appreciate any input. By the way, one doctor told me to go to Mayo in AZ for I had a mystery condition.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Digestive Health Support Group.

Hi @katriname, I'm glad that you are seeking the opinion of medical professionals. Chest pain is definitely something to take seriously. However, it must be frustrating to not have an answer. You may get some possible ideas from these related discussions:

- Anxiety with chest pain and gastrointestinal issues https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/hi-my-names-hassan-im-16/
- Chest pain > a month https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/chest-pain-a-month/

It may be beneficial to get a second opinion at a large medical center like Mayo Clinic where you can be seen by a multidisciplinary team of experts. Would your doctor submit a referral?

@colleenyoung

Hi @katriname, I'm glad that you are seeking the opinion of medical professionals. Chest pain is definitely something to take seriously. However, it must be frustrating to not have an answer. You may get some possible ideas from these related discussions:

- Anxiety with chest pain and gastrointestinal issues https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/hi-my-names-hassan-im-16/
- Chest pain > a month https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/chest-pain-a-month/

It may be beneficial to get a second opinion at a large medical center like Mayo Clinic where you can be seen by a multidisciplinary team of experts. Would your doctor submit a referral?

Jump to this post

Thank you Colleen for your message. Yes, my gastro doctor would definitely submit a referral. I plan to schedule an appointment with a psychiatrist this week. After reading about anxiety in the discussions, I know my pain could be related to anxiety.

Hi @katriname !
I have had acid reflux for years. I also once had inflammation of the lower esophagus, causing pain severe enough for me to go to ER. All cardiac tests were normal. They gave me a test drink of Maalox and lidocaine and pain went away.
Did any of your doctors recommend something like Prilosec at bedtime to deal with acid?

@astaingegerdm

Hi @katriname !
I have had acid reflux for years. I also once had inflammation of the lower esophagus, causing pain severe enough for me to go to ER. All cardiac tests were normal. They gave me a test drink of Maalox and lidocaine and pain went away.
Did any of your doctors recommend something like Prilosec at bedtime to deal with acid?

Jump to this post

I am on 40 mg of Pantoprazole. I take it before bed and still chest
discomfort. I am beginning to
believe the gastro experts, must be something else. Thank you for your
concern.

@katriname - Great- I assumed the doctors had given you an acid reducer.
In my opinion you don’t wake up late night because of anxiety, but waking up with pain definitely could make you nervous.
Getting an appointment at Mayo would be perfect.
Hang in there!

I was told you take pantaprazole 1/2 hr before supper for it to work.

@riflemanz64

I was told you take pantaprazole 1/2 hr before supper for it to work.

Jump to this post

Yes, you are suppose to take it 1/2 before dinner. I do not have problems with indigestion at dinner or even during the day so my gastro doc said to take before bed. He said it is a time release med and may help with the 2:00 a.m. episodes. Not sure what to think about that!

@katriname

I am on 40 mg of Pantoprazole. I take it before bed and still chest
discomfort. I am beginning to
believe the gastro experts, must be something else. Thank you for your
concern.

Jump to this post

@katriname - have you tried raising the head of your bed with risers under the top legs/wheels of your bed frame (only the top)? That really helps. At first it’s awkward sleeping at a slant, but you will get used to it. I have found it has helped a lot with my reflux during the night. Now I have rare incidents, and a few sips of water relieves the pain - even during the day if I have a reflux attack.

For years I was told to put the top of my bed on risers and I didn’t. I eventually did that and have very few incidents of GERD. i have stopped taking Lanzoprazole in the morning, but do take it at night and it still helps.

I have had GERD for many years too (caused by a small hiatal hernia), despite taking Lanzoprazole morning and at bedtime. I used to wake up with severe heart attack-type chest pains every night.

I take mine at bedtime too.
I remember hearing years ago that acid reflux often causes discomfort at 2 am.

@rashida

@katriname - have you tried raising the head of your bed with risers under the top legs/wheels of your bed frame (only the top)? That really helps. At first it’s awkward sleeping at a slant, but you will get used to it. I have found it has helped a lot with my reflux during the night. Now I have rare incidents, and a few sips of water relieves the pain - even during the day if I have a reflux attack.

For years I was told to put the top of my bed on risers and I didn’t. I eventually did that and have very few incidents of GERD. i have stopped taking Lanzoprazole in the morning, but do take it at night and it still helps.

I have had GERD for many years too (caused by a small hiatal hernia), despite taking Lanzoprazole morning and at bedtime. I used to wake up with severe heart attack-type chest pains every night.

Jump to this post

I know your discomfort rashida, not fun. Yes, have had my bed on risers up 8 inches for many years. Everything my gastro doc suggested I have done. I have had 2 upper GI's and I do not have a hiatal hernia. I am going to research Lansoprazole. My general doctor told me to order a Gaviscon that is very thick made in England. It is very expensive and only last 15 days. It was shipped from England. Doubt I do that again though it is better than Gaviscon made in United States.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.