Fibroids, family history of cancer and CA-125 test results

Posted by marestanya @marestanya, Dec 6, 2023

Hi, I was told by Obgyn the I have 5 fibroids and that I need a hysterectomy, I have a family history of 2 first degree relatives ( mother and sister) who have had breast cancer, my grandmother died at age 35 of either ovarian cancer or colon cancer. Her medical information is very limited.my mom was only 10 years old when she died .
I requested to have the ca 125 test done prior to surgery and. It came back very high, although the ultrasound and mri I had 6months ago doesn't show any signs of cancer.
I was just wondering if anyone as any information or experience with this

Thank you for your time

Tanya Mares

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Gynecologic Cancers Support Group.

@marestanya With 5 fibroids I’m thinking you’ve had a lot of pelvic pain over the years. Is that correct and is that the reason that your gynecologist suggested a hysterectomy? Your ultrasounds must have shown the fibroids and since that was negative for cancer as was the MRI I can understand why you are puzzled about the results of the CA-125. Did you talk with your gynecologist about those results?

With your history in your first degree relatives of breast cancer and ovarian or colon cancer did your gynecologist suggest genetic testing? You could find out then what, if any, risk factors you may have and talk with a genetic counselor about the results of the genetic testing.

I had endometrial cancer and did not have a CA-125 test.

Mayo Clinic has some information on the CA-125 test. The information indicates that uterine fibroids can cause an increase in CA-125. That would be something to talk with your gynecologist about.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/ca-125-test/about/pac-20393295

Does any of this information help?

Please sign in or register to post a reply.