B12 level is always 6000. Should I be concerned?

Posted by diana333 @diana333, Aug 27, 2023

I have had blood work done and my B12 level is Always 6000. Is that something that I should be concerned about?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Cancer Support Group.

Hello @diana333 and welcome to Mayo Connect. I see that your Vitamin B12 levels are concerning you. I'm wondering how you are feeling. Any problems that concern you? Are you currently taking Vitamin B12 supplements?

I recommend that you take a look at another discussion on Connect that deals with high levels of B12. Here is the link to that discussion
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/high-levels-of-b12/

I'm also wondering what other health conditions you might have that would be contributing to this.

Has your doctor said anything about these levels? Does he/she have any explanations?

@hopeful33250

Hello @diana333 and welcome to Mayo Connect. I see that your Vitamin B12 levels are concerning you. I'm wondering how you are feeling. Any problems that concern you? Are you currently taking Vitamin B12 supplements?

I recommend that you take a look at another discussion on Connect that deals with high levels of B12. Here is the link to that discussion
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/high-levels-of-b12/

I'm also wondering what other health conditions you might have that would be contributing to this.

Has your doctor said anything about these levels? Does he/she have any explanations?

Jump to this post

Very tired. Wore out exhausted
I go to my one Dr on Thursday I'll see what he has to say. My white blood count is high platelets are low. The B12 has been high that I know of for over a year now. Let me know what u think
Thanks

@diana333

I go to my one Dr on Thursday I'll see what he has to say. My white blood count is high platelets are low. The B12 has been high that I know of for over a year now. Let me know what u think
Thanks

Jump to this post

Hi @diana333,

I am glad to hear that you will be seeing your doctor soon. On Mayo Connect we are patients, like yourself, who encourage and support each other. We are not, however, medical professionals and therefore are not able to give you advice.

I look forward to hearing from you again. Will you post again after you see your doctor?

@diana333

Thanks

Jump to this post

I don't know what the number 6000 means for a B12 count. Normal values are 160 to 950 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL), or 118 to 701 picomoles per liter (pmol/L). Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or may test different samples. Talk to your provider about what your specific test results mean.

High white cell count usually suggests a possible infection. Because your body is fighting something, you feel tired.

@donsunlover

I don't know what the number 6000 means for a B12 count. Normal values are 160 to 950 picograms per milliliter (pg/mL), or 118 to 701 picomoles per liter (pmol/L). Normal value ranges may vary slightly among different laboratories. Some labs use different measurements or may test different samples. Talk to your provider about what your specific test results mean.

High white cell count usually suggests a possible infection. Because your body is fighting something, you feel tired.

Jump to this post

The values they use at this lab are the 160 to 950. So they say my 6000 is High. Lol I guess. I think maybe I need to go to a hematoligist. I'll let u know if I ever find out the reason for my problems.

@diana333

The values they use at this lab are the 160 to 950. So they say my 6000 is High. Lol I guess. I think maybe I need to go to a hematoligist. I'll let u know if I ever find out the reason for my problems.

Jump to this post

An abnormally high vitamin B-12 status can be an early sign of liver disease, diabetes, or certain types of leukemia. A doctor may use the results of a vitamin B-12 test to help form their diagnosis.

@donsunlover

An abnormally high vitamin B-12 status can be an early sign of liver disease, diabetes, or certain types of leukemia. A doctor may use the results of a vitamin B-12 test to help form their diagnosis.

Jump to this post

Are their any other blood test I could ask for that would rule out any type of blood cancer? That is what worries me.

@diana333

Are their any other blood test I could ask for that would rule out any type of blood cancer? That is what worries me.

Jump to this post

I think the strategy is to identify the problem. Don't know if the answer is best found by blood test or other means. Your doctors will know best route to determine both the problem and potential treatment. If you think necessary, get a second opinion.

Thank you so much I really appreciate your help.. I'll let u know

Please sign in or register to post a reply.