Aromatase Inhibitors: Did you decide to go on them or not?

Posted by nanato6 @nanato6, Oct 12, 2018

Nanaloves: I’m about to start arimidex and just feel that the contraindications , bone issues etc. are overwhelming. I’m 70 years old, dodged a bullet I feel with zero stage DCIS but the follow up is pretty much no different then if it was more aggressive. I’ve just done 33 treatments of radiation and now they advise arimidex as a preventative. I’m not sure with the beginnings of arthritis and lower back. sensitivity already that I should take it. Anyone not take it and not have a recurrence within the 5 years.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

@ginip

Doctors sure don’t get side effects. I am taking Anastrozole and didn’t start experiencing noticeable side effects until a year into it. Doctors think listening to your concerns and then recommending Bengay and Tylenol is a satisfying response. I am so tired of reading the same side effects that are on a catsup bottle. I took control of my issues and pretty much addressed each side effect in one way or another. Should not have to be this way taking back control of the situation myself has helped me greatly. Ever onward!!!

Jump to this post

On my one year anniversary I got a a good report on my left breast surgery. However my right breast showed calcifications that required a six month follow-up. That will be next week. So concerned about this occurring right after my left breast. Researching calcifications and what it might show. Anyone have call back for calcifications after a left breast surgery one year prior?

@pbnew

My experience. Diagnosed with MBC 12/21 at72 years of age. Spread to bones. Took Letrozole 2/1/22 through early June 22. Refused Zometa. Feb. 22 had 5 sessions radiation to C-3 vertebrae. Took Ribociclib for a few weeks in March April 22 which caused problems. Refused to continue Ribociclib. May 31 and September 19 had clear scans. No cancer meds between scans or after. Oncologist recommended returning to Letrozole in October which I refused. I will have a full body PET scan and probably CAT scan in May 23. The worst part of this experience and the only time I was physically ill was August through October because of the side effects of the remedy for the side effects of Ribociclib.
Good luck with your decision.

Jump to this post

May God bless you cancer free!

@ginip

Doctors sure don’t get side effects. I am taking Anastrozole and didn’t start experiencing noticeable side effects until a year into it. Doctors think listening to your concerns and then recommending Bengay and Tylenol is a satisfying response. I am so tired of reading the same side effects that are on a catsup bottle. I took control of my issues and pretty much addressed each side effect in one way or another. Should not have to be this way taking back control of the situation myself has helped me greatly. Ever onward!!!

Jump to this post

I did continue on Anastrozole and have been very successful in finding or hearing about possible helpful actions to take. Everyone seems to have different side effects but just taking control was so encouraging.

@ginip

On my one year anniversary I got a a good report on my left breast surgery. However my right breast showed calcifications that required a six month follow-up. That will be next week. So concerned about this occurring right after my left breast. Researching calcifications and what it might show. Anyone have call back for calcifications after a left breast surgery one year prior?

Jump to this post

Yes, I have dense breasts and calcifications on both breasts. I had a double lumpectomy and radiation 6 months ago for my left breast. I had my post treatment mammo this week to check both breasts and they were clear. Be vigilant with your checkups. Blessings❣️

Would love to see feedback for your question about not taking AI and 5 year recurrence. I too am concerned. Sending hugs.

@ginip

Jump to this post

Yes! I had calcification s show up @ the site of my first lumpectomy in 2018. I had a second lumpectomy in 2022 in a totally different wuandrant of the same breast. I did not take Aromatse Inhibitor after first cancer. But am on Letrozole now. . I have to go back in 6 months for follow up. Makes me somewhat concerned😒

@moverland

Yes! I had calcification s show up @ the site of my first lumpectomy in 2018. I had a second lumpectomy in 2022 in a totally different wuandrant of the same breast. I did not take Aromatse Inhibitor after first cancer. But am on Letrozole now. . I have to go back in 6 months for follow up. Makes me somewhat concerned😒

Jump to this post

Thank you so much for responding. As much as I hated the side effects of Anastrozole I have heard good results from it. So I will stick with it and hope for the best. Will see what my right breast momma followup shows on Wednesday.
Thanks again!!

@elliej

Would love to see feedback for your question about not taking AI and 5 year recurrence. I too am concerned. Sending hugs.

Jump to this post

I tackled my side effects to A1 one by one and wanted to quite a couple of times but waded thru it. Still have leg issues but learning how to deal with that too. I keep remembering my favorite verse. Sometimes a mountain is more appreciated from the fields than in the climbing of it Can’t wait to view all this from the fields (with confidence)!

@moverland

Jump to this post

I have been on A1 for a year and will continue to fight with the side effects. ❤️

I am approaching six years on Anastrozole. I also take Zometa infusions every six months. Joint has been bad this past year. In order to keep going I have to take ibuprofen which is dangerous due to kidney compromise. The last doctor offered 2 choices: quit Anastrozole or switch to another aromatose inhibitor. I opted for a 3rd choice: continue Anastrozole and ibuprofen. From all I have read and heard, Anastrozole is better than the other choices in preventing a recurrence. Also the others drugs have many of the same side effects. I have seen 6 different doctors (same office) in the past 6 years so no continuity in treatment and I feel like I am flying blind.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.