Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Has anyone tried a type of portable foot and leg massager to help with strengthening muscles for balance. Just wondering if something like that would only make my symptoms worse.

Is anyone on Cymbalta? Doctor wants me to go on it for anxiety and nerve pain, but nervous about side effects and especially weight gain.

I have CIPN and have hands and feet mainly effected. I am no medication at present time. I tried Cymbalta and Gabapentin with no results as I have extreme numbness. I go to PT and Ot and have found some relief

@pat2628

I have CIPN and have hands and feet mainly effected. I am no medication at present time. I tried Cymbalta and Gabapentin with no results as I have extreme numbness. I go to PT and Ot and have found some relief

Jump to this post

Welcome @pat2628, I'm glad to hear you have found some relief from your CIPN through PT and OT. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a webinar on the condition that you might find helpful.
--- Chemo-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy:
https://www.foundationforpn.org/webinar-chemo-induced-peripheral-neuropathy/.

You might also find the following discussion helpful:
--- Need hope: Neuropathy from chemo:
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/needshope/.

I only have the numbness and some minor tingling with my neuropathy (not chemo related). I was first given gabapentin but stopped taking it after a week or so because it doesn't do anything for numbness which I found out after my doctor consulted with the rest of my Mayo care team. Can you share a little more about your physical/occupational therapy you had that provided some relief?

@johnbishop

Welcome @pat2628, I'm glad to hear you have found some relief from your CIPN through PT and OT. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a webinar on the condition that you might find helpful.
--- Chemo-Induced Peripheral Neuropathy:
https://www.foundationforpn.org/webinar-chemo-induced-peripheral-neuropathy/.

You might also find the following discussion helpful:
--- Need hope: Neuropathy from chemo:
https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/needshope/.

I only have the numbness and some minor tingling with my neuropathy (not chemo related). I was first given gabapentin but stopped taking it after a week or so because it doesn't do anything for numbness which I found out after my doctor consulted with the rest of my Mayo care team. Can you share a little more about your physical/occupational therapy you had that provided some relief?

Jump to this post

I have been going to Pt and Ot in Minnesota for 4 months at least twice a week. I do exercises there and given print outs for home. I have Ulnar nerve damage and the Ulnar Nerve Flossing and Forearm Pronation and Supination with Hammer seem to be helping. You may be able to get these online.

@tiredoftingling

Is anyone on Cymbalta? Doctor wants me to go on it for anxiety and nerve pain, but nervous about side effects and especially weight gain.

Jump to this post

I have peripheral neuropathy also. I have been pn 60 mg Cymbalta for two years for anxiety and neuropathy as well. I did not gain any weight in fact lost some.

Hope that helps.

I’m newly diagnosed with severe idiopathic PN. So far it’s primarily the numbness in feet and a weird “buzzing” feeling in the feet and calf, and a bit of weakness in standing but I’m walking as much as possible to keep physical right now. Buzzing feeling freaks me out as my dr said that’s not typical with PN, but it sounds like some here do have those types of pins/needles buzzy feeling, which is actually reassuring. (Also just started having periodic facial tingles but this may be anxiety that’s roaring in.). I’m hoping to get my Moderna Covid jab soon, so one less thing to worry about there.

I’ll be reading past posts to catch up, but want to say thanks - I appreciate having a community out there.

@lori70

I’m newly diagnosed with severe idiopathic PN. So far it’s primarily the numbness in feet and a weird “buzzing” feeling in the feet and calf, and a bit of weakness in standing but I’m walking as much as possible to keep physical right now. Buzzing feeling freaks me out as my dr said that’s not typical with PN, but it sounds like some here do have those types of pins/needles buzzy feeling, which is actually reassuring. (Also just started having periodic facial tingles but this may be anxiety that’s roaring in.). I’m hoping to get my Moderna Covid jab soon, so one less thing to worry about there.

I’ll be reading past posts to catch up, but want to say thanks - I appreciate having a community out there.

Jump to this post

Good evening @lori70. Welcome to the Connect community. We believe in sharing and it looks like are right on target with your first post. I don't know just what "severe" might mean in your case. Is that greater intensity of the numbness or is it the "buzzing" feeling that makes your condition more challenging? Buzzing is used to indicate a sound. Yet you are using it to describe some unusual and perhaps frightening feeling.

I guess I have the "buzzing" feeling also. Some days it is "subdued" and other days it is "scary". Have you ever checked the Barometric Pressure in the weather report? When it goes below 30, then the "buzzing" feeling becomes more pronounced. If it gets to 27 or 28 that's when the pain seems to become severe as well. I always know when the barometric pressure is trending down as the SFN (small fiber neuropathy) becomes more annoying. Sometimes I can go for a walk to release it. Other times I get comfort from a dose of medical cannabis. The real joy is to wake up with no "alerts" in the morning. I will bet you the BP is moving up over 30.

I am glad you are enjoying our online community. We hope you remain active as you encounter others with similar issues.

What kind of exercises do you do? Any stretch yoga? Have you ever done "legs up the wall"? That is a stretch yoga pose that is very helpful to get those legs moving without discomfort in the morning.

May you be safe, protected, and free from inner and outer harm.
Chris

This is a long shot, but has anyone developed PN while taking Alendronic acid or such for osteoporosis? One of the side effects reported on another site was tingling in feet. Any thoughts welcomed.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.