Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

Yes. I believe mine is from my gait since my knee replacements. Podiatrists assured me my orthotics were doing the job but how could they be if it is getting worse. No other health issues except very flat overpronated feet. I have to see another podiatrist and neurologist to see if at least some of this can be rectified. Suffer every single day. I believe I need a foot realignment to get my weight off of the damaged nerve.

@trmn8r

Yes, for over a year now

Jump to this post

Welcome @trmn8r, It sounds like you have also been dealing with neuropathy for the past year. Do you mind sharing a little more about your diagnosis and symptoms?

I’ve had it for years now and I had to retire from flying as I was having trouble getting the brake pedals down after landing. I’ve tried the rebuilder tens stimulator for a while and it did nothing. I’m still able to walk and go to the gym but I walk like I drank a lot of booze.

@mach92driver

I’ve had it for years now and I had to retire from flying as I was having trouble getting the brake pedals down after landing. I’ve tried the rebuilder tens stimulator for a while and it did nothing. I’m still able to walk and go to the gym but I walk like I drank a lot of booze.

Jump to this post

I take Gabapentin (300 mg) 4 times each day. Have taken it quite a few years now. Keeps me walking.

@marlk

I take Gabapentin (300 mg) 4 times each day. Have taken it quite a few years now. Keeps me walking.

Jump to this post

I was given Gabapentin too but it made me dizzy and made my walking worse. I’m taking zero meds but I do take Alpha Lipoic Acid and it keeps me going. I’m assuming that it depends on the degree of nerve damage.

@mach92driver

I was given Gabapentin too but it made me dizzy and made my walking worse. I’m taking zero meds but I do take Alpha Lipoic Acid and it keeps me going. I’m assuming that it depends on the degree of nerve damage.

Jump to this post

I wear sandals must of the time as my feet are worse when hot. do you have trouble with that also?

@marlk

I wear sandals must of the time as my feet are worse when hot. do you have trouble with that also?

Jump to this post

Hi @mach92driver and @marlk, Welcome to Connect. It's great to see that you have connected and shared what has helped you. There are a lot of great discussions in the Neuropathy Support Group. Here's a link to the list of discussions if you want to check them out - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/group/neuropathy/.

One of the best things you can do is learn as much as you can about your condition and what treatments are available the may provide some relief. Here are my two go to websites for learning more about neuropathy and research:
--- Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy: https://www.foundationforpn.org/living-well/
--- Neuropathy Commons: https://neuropathycommons.org/neuropathy/neuropathy-overview.

Have you done any research on your condition or treatments that might help?

@marlk

Jump to this post

I wear ortho gym shoes and they are great. I don’t have pain, just numbness and weakness. I’m going to Planet Fitness every day and I do leg and calf exercises along with others. There is so much BS on the internet promising cures for neuropathy, I wish there was some criminal justice for these scammers.

Would you please share with me the time or times that you take Pregabalin? I have been taking it only at night; but, my doctor suggested I should be trying it during the day also. Thanks

Please sign in or register to post a reply.