Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Posted by rabbit10 @rabbit10, Apr 9, 2016

Anyone here dealing with peripheral neuropathy?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuropathy Support Group.

@lecowing

I am lucky because I have my wife do anything that requires a step stool or ladder, and I have only one step up to enter our house and it is all on one level. When I go to the library I can manage the stairs using the hand rails. The only way I can stand in one spot without a cane is to march in place (like back when I was in basic training).

Jump to this post

leecowing - I have the same problem when trying to stand in one spot. I'm always telling my wife "don't stop.... keep moving", If I lift my feet and march in place, I can keep my balance. I've never seen anybody with this and was beginning to think that I was alone on this one. Well, we don't have to be worried about being drafted again or being asked to walk in a parade!

Good DAY
Neuropathy lower legs and feet. First Dr. gave me Gabapentin,
not telling me it could mess with my mind started with 3- 300 my mind went crazy.
Dropped to one and the effects are now manageable. Last week more pain so I took one more
could not tie my tie and problem with Directions.

Went to My Dr. gave me a Script for Pregabalin filled it and read the info.
seems like less effective and more mind issues. Please Help Bob

@travel4082
I took 3600 mg of gabapentin per day and it didn’t help my neuropathy or my seizures. I also took Lyrica but it caused muscle problems and since it wasn’t helping I decided to discontinue itI took 3600 mg of gabapentin per day and it didn’t help my neuropathy or my seizures. I also took Lyrica but it caused muscle problems and since it wasn’t helping I discontinued it.
Here are some treatment options from the American Association for peripheral neuropathy.
. https://www.foundationforpn.org/treatments/
Jake

@njed

Debbie - Oh brother, we do have very similar effects from PN. I am unable to lift the front of my feet off the ground, jumping up is impossible due to drop foot. I have not run since 2014 which was something I did like. Steps are becoming an issue and at times the front of a foot will not clear the step and bang. I have upper body strength which I need to hold the railing and I use that for support to assist in step climbing. I won't do a ladder either. My balance is a mess to say the least. You need to have good arm strength to assist in a house with steps. I go to PT 2 days a week when I'm up to it and much relates to balance exercises and strengthen leg muscles. Best tip I can give is to watch your feet going up and down steps and if you can, have a railing on both sides of the steps. That will improve balance going up and down and build up arm and upper body strength the best you can. Every step is a risk so be careful and again...keep walking...keep moving. The best to you!

Jump to this post

I think the answer is to keep moving. My husband had PN and I urge him to do steps. He walks at least twice a week.

@ktpatton

I am hoping that someone with similar symptoms could share any advice on lessening the specific pain that I experience. After a EMG test I was diagnosed with moderate neuropathy and mild radiculopathy. It seems to be confined mostly to my feet, where I have a combination of numbness (feeling cold when they are not cold), stinging or burning, soreness, and occasional jolts that are like an electrical shock. Often it is concentrated in my toes, but also affects my whole feet. Occasionally one of my feet seems to "cramp" up. Uric acid tests rule out gout. I have tried various medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter (Gabapentin, Lyrica, Motrin, Meloxicam, etc. ) I have soaked my feet in warm water, with and without Epsom salts, tried massaging them, and elevating them. If you have similar symptoms, do you have any suggestions that helped you? Thank you.

Jump to this post

Hi @ktpatton, Welcome to Connect. Sorry to hear you are struggling to find something to provide relief for your symptoms. You are not alone. I don't have the pain with my neuropathy, just the numbness in the feet/legs. I posted my story earlier on Connect in another discussion here - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/310341/.

You mentioned a pinched nerve which I'm wondering if it may be the cause of your symptoms. There is another discussion on Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) that has helped some members. Here is a link to the discussion - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

You also mentioned having tried various different medicines without much help. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a list of complementary and alternative treatments listed here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Complementary-and-Alternative-Treatments-Revised-2020-final.-1.pdf

Have you tried any complementary or alternative treatments to see if they might help?

@ktpatton

I am hoping that someone with similar symptoms could share any advice on lessening the specific pain that I experience. After a EMG test I was diagnosed with moderate neuropathy and mild radiculopathy. It seems to be confined mostly to my feet, where I have a combination of numbness (feeling cold when they are not cold), stinging or burning, soreness, and occasional jolts that are like an electrical shock. Often it is concentrated in my toes, but also affects my whole feet. Occasionally one of my feet seems to "cramp" up. Uric acid tests rule out gout. I have tried various medicines, both prescription and over-the-counter (Gabapentin, Lyrica, Motrin, Meloxicam, etc. ) I have soaked my feet in warm water, with and without Epsom salts, tried massaging them, and elevating them. If you have similar symptoms, do you have any suggestions that helped you? Thank you.

Jump to this post

@ktpatton..A nurse told me putting icy hot cream on will give a pain break. I'm trying it in a little bit. So I will post back with the review. I have Autonomic Neuropathy but mine is both legs, hands and arms. Hang in there, Chin up.

@njed

leecowing - I have the same problem when trying to stand in one spot. I'm always telling my wife "don't stop.... keep moving", If I lift my feet and march in place, I can keep my balance. I've never seen anybody with this and was beginning to think that I was alone on this one. Well, we don't have to be worried about being drafted again or being asked to walk in a parade!

Jump to this post

Agree.

@edsasfnf5

@ktpatton..A nurse told me putting icy hot cream on will give a pain break. I'm trying it in a little bit. So I will post back with the review. I have Autonomic Neuropathy but mine is both legs, hands and arms. Hang in there, Chin up.

Jump to this post

Thank you for the input. I do have problems with some rub-on creams with certain ingredients. My skin has a bad reaction, but I don't think that I have tried the icy hot cream.

@roslyn

I think the answer is to keep moving. My husband had PN and I urge him to do steps. He walks at least twice a week.

Jump to this post

Yes, absolutely walking is needed and this time of the year, I will walk 2 times on days in the 40's or better and in April to Nov will walk 4 X a week. It helps.

@johnbishop

Hi @ktpatton, Welcome to Connect. Sorry to hear you are struggling to find something to provide relief for your symptoms. You are not alone. I don't have the pain with my neuropathy, just the numbness in the feet/legs. I posted my story earlier on Connect in another discussion here - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/comment/310341/.

You mentioned a pinched nerve which I'm wondering if it may be the cause of your symptoms. There is another discussion on Myofascial Release Therapy (MFR) that has helped some members. Here is a link to the discussion - https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/myofascial-release-therapy-mfr-for-treating-compression-and-pain/

You also mentioned having tried various different medicines without much help. The Foundation for Peripheral Neuropathy has a list of complementary and alternative treatments listed here - https://www.foundationforpn.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Complementary-and-Alternative-Treatments-Revised-2020-final.-1.pdf

Have you tried any complementary or alternative treatments to see if they might help?

Jump to this post

Thank you for your input. I will check out your links. I don't have a pinched nerve to my knowledge. That must be from another post. I have only tried a few medicines and some massage and soaking, so I will check out the complementary or alternative treatments. The pain has increased a lot in the past few months, so I need to explore other remedies. Thanks.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.