After knee replacement surgery

Posted by beatricefay @beatricefay, Jun 16, 2016

Had left knee replaced 9 days ago. Right knee two years ago. Having a problem with inflammation so hard to bend knee and exercise. Trying to ice and raise knee above heart. Doctor suggested getting compression hose. Anybody have this experience and can offer suggestions. So tired all the time from pain interrupting my sleep and painkillers. My insurance refused to pay for the painkiller recommended by surgeon so have to take one with more opiates. That's frustrating. Two years ago it was covered but now too expensive for me to use. Seems the drug companies, not our doctors are determining what we use.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

Thank you,Sue, for your reply. I have asked and the answer to that seems to be they do not want to touch somebody else’s surgery that has had a problem. First I am told,”Dr. So and So will not be taking your case.” When I ask them why , I am told the doctor does not take “Do overs”. That is when I ask, “What should I do?” The answer is always .”Return to your original surgeon.” My Internist has sent me to the pain clinic and therapy. I also spent 2
weeks of rehab in a rehab facility. I have been to a neurologist (referred by my Doctor at Rehab facility) who did not address my pain. He felt as if I was there to get him to agree to surgery. I assured him I was surgeried out. In the mean time I have had my right knee done at another clinic. It is EXCELLENT. I approached this surgeon about the pain I was still having in my left knee and shin. Once again, and I quote, “ I do not do do.overs “. I think
After hearing my history the docs decide they do not wish to do anything. I agree that this is most likely nerve pain. Soooooo this is my sorted tale of woe. Thank you again for your response.

As I read these stories of seeming nerve damage/involvement as a result of knee replacement surgery, I cannot but be amazed that one cannot attribute the nerve pain to be a consequence of that surgery. As such, don't you think the ortho surgeons who do replacement should have found a protocol to remedy such unintended consequences, and not send you to a bevy of other medical professionals to remedy their mistakes...or even worse prescribe gabapentin...

@ljn

As I read these stories of seeming nerve damage/involvement as a result of knee replacement surgery, I cannot but be amazed that one cannot attribute the nerve pain to be a consequence of that surgery. As such, don't you think the ortho surgeons who do replacement should have found a protocol to remedy such unintended consequences, and not send you to a bevy of other medical professionals to remedy their mistakes...or even worse prescribe gabapentin...

Jump to this post

Unfortunately we are a highly compartmentalized society - not only in medicine, but all other aspects of life. For example, the floors being redone at my daughter's house - one guy tears out the old floor, another guy comes in & makes sure the subfloor is sturdy & level, a third guy lays the new floor, a fourth comes in & puts wood putty in any holes/cracks, does the final sanding & cleaning, then varnishes...then we reinstall the baseboards and shoe molding. That's in addition to the guy who bid the job... that's 6 people! 30 years ago the same company sent 2 guys to do the whole job, with 5 times as much square footage, in our house. (And each arrived in his own truck.)

Or the plumber who required my daughter (in a cast) to remove the access panel on her tub because it wasn't just a factory one, but a handmade one, so he could look at the pipes.

So if the trades and crafts are that specialized, is it any wonder medicine is as well. When I called for an ortho eval appointment for my husband, the scheduler amazed me - "It says here he does shoulders, elbows and wrists, I have to call his PA and see if he does forearms too" Of course he does! That's what attaches one to the other.

Add to that the fear by the subsequent doc that he may be blamed or sued if he can't fix the original problem. I'm so fortunate my ortho has enough confidence to do "do overs."
Sue

@johnbishop

Yesterday I had my 3 month post op visit for my TKR for my right knee. I have been really happy with the outcome (thanks Mayo Clinic!). I have no pain in my knee and my range of motion is 0 to ~130 degrees. The only issue I have and it's a big one, is the swelling in my right ankle due to lymphedema. I have been wearing my compression socks since about week 3 or 4 post op. Before surgery the compression socks would take care of the swelling overnight and I would start out each day good. Since the surgery, the socks really haven't helped a whole lot.

I got some additional instruction on the importance of icing and elevating from my surgeon and his assistant. I had really stopped icing and elevating when my knee started feeling better and I could ride my recumbent exercise bike for 30 minutes with no issues. They told me to take it easy for while and focus on the swelling. Best tip I received was putting a couple of pillows at the end of the bed and under the mattress so that you mattress is elevated at the bottom. Then use another pillow under your knee to support it and help with the bottom of the bed being higher. I did that last night and my ankle was considerably smaller this morning - YAY! Now I have to fine tune it a little. I also ordered something like a CryoCuff for the ankle only it has a small compression pump and you can insert a gel pack in it and wrap your ankle so that it gives you a compressed cold wrap to help with the swelling. I'm looking forward to trying that to make the icing and elevating a little easier during the daytime.

Hoping you all have success and if you are struggling, don't stop working on the problem - ask questions from your care team (or your Connect TKR friends!).

Jump to this post

What Mayo Clinic did you have your knee surgery? I need both knees replaced and have Lymphedema in both Legs. I am scheduled to have my first knee in February 2022 but after reading here all the pain, etc..plus I have LE I am thinking of cancelling,. I have full legs pump and it is pretty powerful..do you think that will help the swelling?

@mercuryrose

What Mayo Clinic did you have your knee surgery? I need both knees replaced and have Lymphedema in both Legs. I am scheduled to have my first knee in February 2022 but after reading here all the pain, etc..plus I have LE I am thinking of cancelling,. I have full legs pump and it is pretty powerful..do you think that will help the swelling?

Jump to this post

@mercuryrose I had my right knee TKR done at Rochester Mayo Clinic in April 2019. They did a great job for me. I think the best thing you can do for yourself to help with successful recovery after a TKR is to faithfully do the pre-surgery leg exercises and the post surgery exercise along with icing and elevating the leg during recovery. My surgeon worked that into my head when we first discussed the knee replacement.

I've never used full leg pumps to help with swelling of lymphedema but I would definitely discuss it with your doctor and surgeon. I was not able to wear my compression socks for a few weeks after the knee replacement due to the swelling. Once the swelling was under control and the stitches were removed I was able to go back to wearing my compression socks. I found compression socks with zippered sides were much easier to put on and take off. Do you wear compression socks for your lymphedema?

@johnbishop

@mercuryrose I had my right knee TKR done at Rochester Mayo Clinic in April 2019. They did a great job for me. I think the best thing you can do for yourself to help with successful recovery after a TKR is to faithfully do the pre-surgery leg exercises and the post surgery exercise along with icing and elevating the leg during recovery. My surgeon worked that into my head when we first discussed the knee replacement.

I've never used full leg pumps to help with swelling of lymphedema but I would definitely discuss it with your doctor and surgeon. I was not able to wear my compression socks for a few weeks after the knee replacement due to the swelling. Once the swelling was under control and the stitches were removed I was able to go back to wearing my compression socks. I found compression socks with zippered sides were much easier to put on and take off. Do you wear compression socks for your lymphedema?

Jump to this post

I have Juzo lower leg wraps....I can’t find LE Compression Zipper Leg wraps..where did you get yours? thanks,,,

@mercuryrose

I have Juzo lower leg wraps....I can’t find LE Compression Zipper Leg wraps..where did you get yours? thanks,,,

Jump to this post

I purchased mine on Amazon. They have different brands but you might have to search a little. Here's the type I purchased - https://www.amazon.com/HealthyNees-Compression-Fatigue-Swelling-Circulation/dp/B077PL2ZMG/ref=sr_1_3_sspa

Please sign in or register to post a reply.