← Return to NPH (normal pressure hydrocephalus): Let's connect and share

Comment receiving replies

Hi @pedie, Thank you for the update. So great to hear that the shunt along with therapy has helped you regain mobility. From having difficulty walking to playing tennis, that’s quite the recovery. Can you tell us a bit more about the recovery journey? How long did it take from getting the shunt to starting to walk and be more active again? What was and is your therapy regimen?

Jump to this post

Replies to "Hi @pedie, Thank you for the update. So great to hear that the shunt along with..."

Colleen and Pedie,

Our recovery, included serious PT, and cautiously opening the shunt to the current setting of 1.0. That was over a period of 1 1/2yr. Gradually, the symptoms dissipated and went from wheelchair to walker to cane. Currently he uses the cane when he is tired around the house and takes it with him when he is out. It is more of an occasional prop, rather than a functional walking aid. When he golfs, he uses his clubs to give himself support and a rest. He still has trouble festinating when any distance is involved. He is mentally sharp, a voracious reader and loves to socialize. His senior exercise class is quite rigorous and he only uses the chair as part of the instructed exercise.

As the shunt was opened and he went through the healing and settling stages, he has required less and less sleep and now, I would say that he is in the normal range. He rarely naps and has a fine appetite and has regained all of the weight that was lost during the period of decline and recovery. He takes Carbadopa Levadopa – 2 pills, breakfast, lunch and supper and it is a nice little boost. He has a Medtronic shunt and there have been no issues with it. Medtronic was very helpful in confirming that the massive AAA surgery can often cause NPH. Unless, there is a special circumstance, it is unlikely that his shunt will be opened any further, for fear of bleeding or collapse of ventricles.

If you need more information or feedback, I will give you what help that I can,

The Good Wife

My surgery was done at Shands UF.  There was no adjustment of the shunt–it was simply inserted, I went home after two days, and then was told to have therapy. Most of my therapy was dealt with balance. 
My grandson tells me there is something called muscle memory.  Although at times I feel a bit unsteady just walking, on the tennis court my muscles seem to know what to do.  This past Oct. I had an MRI and the neurosurgeon said that all looked well. 
By the way, I will be 81 in May.  God is good.  Pedie