@imatine I was diagnosed with osteoporosis in September 2019 after a minor fall in July left me with a minimally displaced trochanteric femur fracture. I have been doing all of the right things — getting plenty of calcium and protein, taking vitamin D, K, boron, and magnesium, and plenty of weight-bearing exercise. Before the pandemic I was going to my health club and alternating days of pool jogging with days in the gym working on strength equipment. I had been doing that for quite a while before my diagnosis, in fact, my PCP thought with all of the exercise I did that I would not have osteoporosis. He was wrong.
Now that I can no longer go to the gym I do at least an hour of exercise at home using videos. Some are weight-bearing and some are cardio. On days when weather permits I walk outside.
I had a DEXA on December 1st. My numbers are considerably worse than they were. I am on prednisone so that is part of my problem. My transplant team has finally cut my dosage in half so hopefully, that will help to keep it from getting worse.
I had an endo appointment a week ago and have another coming up with a different endo this week. To me, this is such a huge decision I wanted input from two highly regarded doctors. The doctor that I already did see thought my plan, to start on Tymlos to improve my bones for two years would be good. I will see what the doctor I am conferring with this week says. I have not yet decided which doctor I will choose to treat me.
Following those two years I would need to go on something else, the recommendation was Tymlos. I am finding that doctors tend to not recommend Tymlos because it is a daily self-administered injection, and it is expensive. I have figured out the cost for the coming year when checking the Medicare Plan D plans and it would be costly up until April or May ( a bit over $500 a month) for me and then the price would go down (a little over $100 a month). I think if it improves my bone density it will be worth it. By using the Medicare calculator though I save myself about $800 a year on my drugs by switching plans.
Admittedly, I am scared of any of these drugs but I am also scared of a more severe fracture. I don't see that I have many options.