← Return to Undiagnosed Autoimmune with back pain, spasms, and stiffness

Comment receiving replies

I am a 45 year old male and I have had similar symptoms. Find a neurologist that s familiar with GAD 65 and ask to see if they can do an antibiotic GAD 65 blood test. I have a disease called STIFF PERSON SYNDROME and those symptoms are relatable. The disease does affect women more often than men and it is very rare. I pray that this isn't what you have but I hope this helps put you in the right direction.

Jump to this post

Replies to "I am a 45 year old male and I have had similar symptoms. Find a neurologist..."

Thanks for your recent reply. I will definitely check that out.

Hello @awinkler73, Welcome to Connect. Thank you for sharing information about the GAD 65 blood test and Stiff Person Syndrome. There is another discussion here on Connect that you and @bryan_in_dallas may want to join.

> Groups > Brain & Nervous System > Stiff Person Syndrome

You may also be interested in the following article that appeared on Mayo Clinic's News Network.

Sharing Mayo Clinic: Diagnosed with stiff-person syndrome

I have dealt with pelvic pain the past 18 years, diagnosed with vulvodynia, many medications over the years and been referred to several out of state OBGYN specialists, acupuncture, physical therapists, had chiropractic care. None have given no relief to my pain with the terrible spastic pelvic floor feelings of constant pain 24/7 during these years with sitting and lying down. My central nervous system seems to always be in "overdrive: I am a 75 year old woman and this began when I was 58. I was referred to a neurologist two years after the symptoms first started, MS was ruled out, my reflexes were overactive, and my Antigad antibody level was 0.04 at that time. A mild case of Stiff Person Syndrome was mentioned then, but stated that it was not a conclusive diagnosis, but having the antigad number was "interesting". Baclofen, diazepam and several medications were tried during several months and did not help at all. Then referred to the same neurologist seven years later, Antigad antibody level at this time was .011, and the neurologist said he did not think the reading was suggestive of a stiff person syndrome, but "was interesting". Then referred to him again recently. MRI's were taken of my neck and back this time and were normal other than age related degeneration which is considered normal for my age. He did not do blood work on my recent visit, and gave me a prescription for Diazepam 2 mg. to take 3 x daily. It isn't helping. I see him again in 2 months. He now is treating me for "perhaps" a "mild case of stiff person syndrome." My symptoms still remain the tingling in my entire body from head to toe (no shaking- just always conscious of the tingling sensations), this terrible pelvic pain with sitting and lying down, and some stiffness within the last 6 months or so when getting up in the morning, which I attribute to age related arthritis, perhaps. My lower back now hurts and the pelvic pain and tingling now extends down both legs and into both feet. May I ask what was or is your AntiGad 65 level? (My sister died at age 56 with a paraneoplastic syndrome that was caused from stage 2 carcinomic lung cancer of which she was in remission after 2 months of aggressive chemo and radiation treatment. She never felt better after the remission and it was found that she ah the Antigad .Anti-HU gad that was discovered a month before she died). I wish there was more input within the Mayo Clinic Connect site regarding Stiff Person Syndrome. From what I am researching, I understand that this is a rare autoimmune disease. Have you been treated at Mayo Clinic? At this point, I am still unsure if I do or if I do not have Stiff Person Syndrome.