Hey @johnnyv46. It’s great that you found yourself here and brave of you to reach out. As others have expressed, I think many here can relate to the fear of visiting the doctor. New information can be overwhelming, but asking questions is ultimately a step that can help us become more empowered and knowledgable about our health. By asking lots of questions, you can work together with your doctor to get an accurate diagnosis and devise a treatment plan that will be a fit for you and your preferences.
Sometimes just knowing what questions to ask is a place to start. Here are some examples of questions to ask about lung health. Maybe this is of help.
Here are some questions to ask your pulmonologist, respiratory therapist, or other member of your pulmonary care team about your lung condition. Print this page, check off the questions you would like answered, and take it with you to your appointment.
– Do you suspect my symptoms are related to an obstructive lung disease, such as asthma or COPD, or to a restrictive lung disease, such as pulmonary fibrosis or lung cancer?
– What is the name of the lung disease you suspect is responsible for causing my respiratory symptoms? Is this condition known by any other names?
– What types of diagnostic tests will be performed to confirm or rule out this diagnosis (e.g., pulmonary function tests, chest x-ray, CT scan)?
– How should I prepare for these diagnostic tests? How long will the tests take? Will the results of these tests be available immediately? If not, how long will it take to get the results? Should I call, or will someone contact me?
– Is my condition acute or chronic?
– What complications may develop as a result of my condition?
– What will be the course of treatment? Can my condition be controlled with medication, such as inhalers, cough medicines (e.g., expectorants), or antibiotics?
– What are the common side effects of these medications and what should I do if I experience severe side effects? If medication is ineffective, what other treatment options are available?
– Are there any complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) therapies that may be used to treat my condition?
– How often should I be seen for follow-up appointments and pulmonary function testing?
– Where can I find more information about my lung disease? Can you recommend a local or online support group for patients with lung disease?