First-time visitors to Mayo Clinic regularly remark on the uniqueness of their Mayo experience. A frequent comment is, “You really need to see it for yourself to understand it!”
With the launch in March 2015 of a live video-streaming platform called Periscope, we're glad that many more people will be able to experience and interact with Mayo Clinic more directly, even before they travel here.
Periscope allows broadcasters to stream video in near real-time through iOS and Android smartphones. We created a Mayo Clinic account on Periscope in June 2015. We're planning to use it for behind-the-scenes tours, educational discussions with Mayo specialists, and to broadcast live events.
Here are two ways you can watch our live Mayo Clinic Periscope broadcasts:
- We'll be announcing most of our broadcasts via posts here on Mayo Clinic Connect. When a scheduled 'scope starts, we'll post the direct link to watch on our Mayo Clinic Facebook page and Twitter account. That works best for watching on your desktop or laptop computer.
- On your smartphone or tablet, download the Periscope app for iOS or Android. Search for our Mayo Clinic account and follow it. Then you can get notifications anytime we're broadcasting.
While you can watch the broadcasts on your desktop or laptop computer, with the mobile app you also can interact and participate. With an app you may comment, ask questions, and also tap on your screen to send hearts for your favorite parts.
We hope you'll join our live broadcasts, but if you miss them you can still watch and share with others for the next 24 hours.
We'll also be creating archived versions to upload to our Mayo Clinic YouTube channel for longer-term use.
Here are links to the YouTube versions some of our recent Periscope broadcasts:
- Mayo Historical Suite, including offices of the Mayo brothers
- Mayo Video Studio and Master Control
- Downtown Rochester Campus Tour
- Mayo Clinic Heritage Hall
- Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation
- #AskTheMayoMom with Angela Mattke, M.D.