Written by Tammy Adams, Cancer Education Center Educator
Cancer is a life-changing condition that may take a toll on physical and emotional health. The LIVESTRONG Foundation has partnered with many local YMCAs to provide a structured, supportive, research-based physical activity and well-being program to help survivors move beyond cancer in mind, body and spirit.
The program includes:
• Free 12-week YMCA membership for survivor and primary caregiver
• Two 75-minute classes per week
• Individual instruction and group activities
• Cardiovascular exercise, strength training, stretching and balance workouts
The goals are:
• Improve energy levels
• Reduce the severity of treatment side effects
• Reduce stress levels
• Support positive self esteem
• Incorporate physical activity that is safe for each survivor
• Help build muscle strength
• Increase flexibility and endurance
• Restore balance
In addition to the benefits of physical activity, the program offers a sense of connection to fellow survivors.
Fitness instructors receive specialty training in the elements of cancer, post rehabilitation exercises and supportive cancer care. To learn more or find a program near you, visit the LIVESTRONG website.
The program in Rochester, Minnesota is recruiting patients now for its program starting September 17th, 2019. Please call 507-287-2260 or visit ymcamn.org/rochester.
2019 Rochester, MN Sessions
September 17-December 5, 2019, 1:30-2:45pm
October 1-December 19, 2019, 6:00-7:15pm
February 4-April 23, 2020, 1:30-2:45pm
12 weeks of sessions every Tuesday and Thursday
What to expect during the 12 weeks, 24 sessions of LIVESTRONG
(Adapted from Partners in Recovery LIVESTRONG at the YMCA)
-Become part of a small group of people with similar life experiences.
-Sharing and forming friendships that will last beyond the LIVESTRONG session dates.
-Learn to trust your body again- learn a new normal
-Become familiar with cardio and strength machines in the fitness Center
-Experience different types of class offerings at the YMCA
-Devotion, meditation and yoga classes will be offered during the session dates
-Building trusting with the other LIVESTRONG participants and learning how to supporting each other through good as well as hard times.
Participant Testimonials: What LIVESTRONG means to me:
- “A program that took me from Survive to Thrive. Offered classes and exercises that increased flexibility, strength , balance and endurance. Made me mindful of ways to become stronger in my daily living.”
- “ Support, Fellowship, Encouragement.”
- “Experiencing new goals and work outs with qualified instructors, learning from each other and valuing new information. Most importantly- strengthen my body, mind and spirit with other cancer survivors. For this experience I am very appreciative. ”