About

Member has chosen to not make this information public.

Groups (1)

Pages

Member not yet following any Pages.

Posts (7)

Fri, Jan 24 8:49am · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

@fjc1962

I hope the cardiologist your going to see next week will give you a valid information. Based on what I see, I don't think you have to worry that much. I am much younger than you (43 years old) with the same size of ascending aorta. Based on the what I know the older you get the bigger the size of Aorta. What that mean is that, given the same size, mine is worse as compare to yours. To compare the previous size with the current one, you have to measure with the same technology. Don't think, the size grew by 0.2 cm after last year. This may be due to margin of error due to the two technology. Unless, you have observable symptom in you daily health such as chest pain, tiredness OR other underlying health conditions, don't worry that much. Ask the Cardiologist about the root of Ascending Aorta from the Echo, that is the key to make surgery decision due to the risk. Since you have tri-cuspid aortic valve, yours is far from surgery recommendation. I think for tricuspid, the guideline is 5.5 cm based on The Society of Thoracic Surgeons. For bicuspid it is 5 cm. It may take the next 10 years for you to get to the 5.5 cm recommendation. Update me what the cardiologist said next week. Please don't worry!

Wed, Jan 22 9:06am · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

@fjc1962

Does it mean the MRI showed 4.9 cm and the 2019 CT showed 4.7 cm? If it is, the two technology measure the same thing with margin of error. I don't know your specific situation of your condition, the risk depends on many factors. Based on what I see, yours is similar to mine based on ascending aorta size if you have Bicuspid aortic valve with no underlying genetic disorder. How about the condition of the root of ascending aorta? These are what you have take into consideration to make a decision. As I said, I educated myself as much as possible and read a lot of research papers in these area. Right now, I am running 45 miles a week and lift the weight up to 65 pound, no life change at all. Zero concern. I have an MRI scan planned in March, depending on that, I will plan another surgeon second opinion and have a plan to fly to Cleveland Clinic after March.

Bottom line, follow the guideline of your cardiologist and listen to your body.

Thu, Jan 9 3:13am · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

@win sturgeon

I think the width range of Aortic valve varies with age range. I think the older you get the wider it gets. For your current age 4.7 isn’t that far from upper boundaries for a normal range. This is based on the guidelines from cadiotherscic paper.

Thu, Jan 9 3:00am · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

@fjc1962 I don’t know the details of your conditions. The urgency depends on many factors, if you have family history of heart attack, bicuspid aortic valve with underlying genetic disorder and the root of Ascending Aorta involved you have to do the surgery due to the risk of eruption to mention the few based on my assessment of the literatures. You have to follow the cardiologist guidelines. I think Celevland clinic operates in Florida, check the surgeon there. I have a plan to go to different state to see one of their Surgeon, they are one of the best based on many factual stats. Educate yourself based on your conditions before you rush. My local surgeon recommended me to plan for surgery, BUT I decided to wait based on education decisions.

Wed, Jan 8 2:46pm · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

@Drew944

I don't worry at all. Actually, I do all my activity as usual. Currently, I am running 45 miles per week and lift weight too with caution. Mine is 4.9 cm and the surgeon said I will do the surgery if I want to. But, I decided to wait after I read a lot of research papers from the area. I will update you the next imaging after six month. I will do MRI this time. I have contacted one person and he told me, he did surgery @ 6+ cm the same condition and an athlete with similar fit. Don't worry about ticking bomb etc etc people writing. Just follow your instinct. Yours is good, you will not worry about tissue vs mechanical choice if you do surgery after 10 years. I am 43 and I am trying to push the surgery and get a tissue valve.

Dec 5, 2019 · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

Did you share the blood thinning impact on your quality of life? I am inclined to Biological valve instead of mechanical valve.

Dec 5, 2019 · Thoracic aortic aneurysm in Aortic Aneurysms

I am new to the forum, I have diagnosed with BAV, ascending aorta aneurysm of 4.99cm(echo), 4.9 cm( following CT), 4.8(second CT after a month) and mild aortic stenosis this year at age 42 during routine health checkup. I have no symptom and no heart problem in my family. I am running 30 miles per week without any problem and have no symptom, still doing my routine. Read a lot of research in this area, the research is lucking epidemiological data. It says, the risk of rupture is ~3%/year at this size. The surgeon recommended surgery with mechanical valve which I am not conferrable with, I am thinking recently approved Biological valve. After I read a lot of research I decided to wait at least for a year and get a second opinion from other surgeon from Cleveland Clinic. Before I do that, I want to do another scan with MRI after six month. I have no other health problem except high blood pressure which controlled using medication. I am not a person who worried that much (I trust God and Science). Anyone who is young like me with similar scenario? Would you please share your experience? Any idea from expert?