About

Member has chosen to not make this information public.

Pages

Member not yet following any Pages.

Posts (6)

5 days ago · Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve Repair Surgery on Jan 30th in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

Well all went very well Surgeon was able to repair my mitral valve . He said the septal wall was not as large as anticipated ,but did have to shave it some
I was in ICU 1day and then moved to a cardiac floor .Recovery was going good until the 4th day when I went into Afib and Afib flutter I will tell you it scared the heck out of me .They did a TEE to make sure there were no blood clots ,and then did a cardio-version I believe that is what it is called to shock the heart into rhythm. I was discharged on the 10 th day .Iam at home now and feeling pretty good considering. I have a follow up with my Cardiologist Monday the 18th. So we will see hoe that goes
I still have some shortness of breath when climbing stairs .I hope if will improve as I rehab .From what I understand my doctor needs to clear me for that
I must say the nurses and doctors at Penn were 1st class all the way
For others who went through this surgery ,how long did it take for your symptoms to lesson
Thanks for all the well wishes

Dec 16, 2018 · Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve Repair Surgery on Jan 30th in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

Thanks so much for the reply,that is reassuring Its just a difficult decision when you feel OK. We live about 100 miles from Penn so it would be a easy drive
We are thinking of staying at a hotel close by for a couple of days

Dec 16, 2018 · Septal Myectomy & Mitral Valve Repair Surgery on Jan 30th in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

Hello all I am scheduled for a septal Myectomy and Mitral valve repair in January . The thing is I feel OK as long as I can do things on my own pace ,I can take a walk ride my bike etc . Stairs and inclines are a chore and also dizziness when getting up to quickly. My latest TEE study showed a severe leaky
mitral valve. When speaking with the surgeon he said the valve leakage will only get worse and really cause problems .He recommended surgery now rather that waiting I will be 70 in Feb and I am in relatively good health.My doctors are at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital In Philadelphia
They have a program there that deals with HCM .He left the decision entirely up to me . Iam really on the fence with this as like I said I generally feel Ok
on the other hand I dont want this turning into a emergency situation
To others that have had this surgery what was your condition prior ?
Thanks for reading

Mar 30, 2018 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

I am being treated by Dr Anjali Tiku Owens she specializes in Hypertrophic cardiomyopathyI have had all the studies Holter 48 and 21 day MRI of the heart Sterss echo and so on She did recommend a Difib 4 months ago but like all men I drug my feet and never did it However I did see a Doc that does the procedure and he agreed.I am having a Holter 48 hr and a stress echo next week and compare to the ones I had 15 months ago She did tell me the that the blood vessels needed to be in the right place for me to be a candidate for ASA.I was referred to Dr Owens by my former Cardiologist as he was by his own admission not conferable treating me This was about 4 years ago My Doctors age at the University of Pa After the studies she is going to see if I have any more room to increase my verapamil i take 180 mg 1 time a day I am maxed out on metoprolol I take 2 100mg a day Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post

Mar 29, 2018 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

Angelo
Have been being treated for HCM for about 4 years My Doctors are at the University of Pa Iam at this point maxed out on meds Docs are considering the alcohol ablation I will be following the discussions

Mar 29, 2018 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

Angelo 69 YO have been being treated with meds for about 4 years Iam at the point where doctor is wanting a difib and pacemaker.Then talk about AIB