Badges (1)


Member has chosen to not make this information public.


Member not yet following any Pages.

Posts (6)

Mon, Sep 2 10:00am · Watchman Implant for A-Fib in Heart Rhythm Conditions

I am waiting for AMPLATZER™ Amulet to get the FDA approval.

I have been in AFib since 2009 even with 3 ablations, numerous cardio versions and numerous drugs. I had 6 day hospital stay after stomach bleed in 2016. I was given 6 units of blood because I was on XARELTO at the time and they could not stop the bleed. I have had at least 2 DVT's both before the stomach bleed. I am on Warfarin since that time 2016 since it can be reversed. My EP implanted a Pacemaker in 2017 which helps with the symptoms but I remain in AFib or flutter almost constantly.

My LAA was not shaped correctly for the Watchman implant (chicken leg/wing) so that means Amulet is my only hope. From what I can find online it is a long way off. Anyone out there have any current info on Amulet.

Thank you

Mon, May 20 10:16am · Does anyone with AFIB NOT take blood thinners? in Heart Rhythm Conditions

I currently take Warafrin continually as I am in constant AFIB. I have had 3 Ablations and many times cardioverted finally after years of bouncing from tachycardia to bradycardia my EP implanted a pacemaker. I can't afford any of the designer blood thinners Xerelto or Elequis.

I tried for a Watchman but "flunked" because my LLA is a "chicken leg/wing" shape and Interventional Cardiologist would not place. There is another company who is working on a product that might work for my odd shaped LLA. Hoping so as I had a major stomach bleed 3 years ago ending up in the hospital for 6 days with 5-6 units of blood. At that time I was on Xerelto and gastro surgeon could not get the bleed to stop. With warafrin at least effects of blood thinning can be reversed fairly easily.

I'm sort of a mess. I have "heard" that most clots develop in the LLA and if you have a mis-shaped one like I do, the need for a blood thinner is not necessary. My EP or Interventional Cardiologist continue to advise I take the blood thinner.

Does anyone know of a reliable Doctor who will explain to me if my "chicken leg/wing" shaped LLA can protect me from throwing a clot while in Afib? And what the percentage of probability there is for not throwing a clot. I really need to be off warafrin.

Dec 10, 2017 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

We have Medicare and VA health coverage. Rog is 68 yrs old, not retired from armed services or actice duty . He is a Vietnam Veteran serving in country from 1969 to 1971. I would like information from someone in the know at Mayo who can tell me why or if Mayo is not participating in Vet Choice which is a Federal Program for Vets who need care outside of the VA. This surgery (septal myectomy) is not done by many doctors Mayo”s claim as the best place to go for Doctor who have the most experience perhaps is limited by $’s. That is very sad.

Dec 9, 2017 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

I am looking for verification regarding Mayo HCM Clinic not participating in Vet Choice program. My husband has HCM and he is being told that he will need a Septal Myectomy. He is a VietNam Veteran and we are trying to find the best place to go to for the surgery because the VA Minn does not have Doctors who can perform the surgery. We called Vet Choice and they say we cannot go to Mayo. Could someone please check with Mayo and see if this is really true. I have contacted Steve Ooman’s office and believe the VA has already forwarded all pertinent information and a CD with testing results. We can’t move forward. We live in a very small city in Wisconsin east of Chippewa Falls. Mayo seems to be the closest and best place for us to go. Please help us get to the bottom of this soon.

Dec 9, 2017 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

My husband is a VietNam Veteran and we live in upper Wisconsin. We have been working with the Minn VA. The Cardiologist there said to “find the best place to have the Septal Myectomy – the place where the surgeon has done the most of these surgeries”. So yes, Mayo seems to be the best place however Mayo will not work with the VA to pay for the surgery. I believe Vet Choice is the vendor working with the VA. I have been told by staff at Mayo Cardiology Dept that they will not see my husband. I am very disappointed.

Oct 3, 2017 · HCM-ers: Introduce yourself or just say hi in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM)

What do the gradient numbers mean?
What does a “pressure” after stress test mean? His was just under 400.
What should he not be doing between now and the next Dr. Appointment Oct 25th?
My husband was sort of in shock after the Stress MRI and didn’t get to ask more questions.
Now we have loads of questions. VA Drs are so busy.
We are leaving on a week long trip to South Carolina for Grandson’s Basic Training Graduation Oct 14th (driving).
Should we go?
Should we not walk up the bleachers?
What is “overdoing it” mean?

Also wondering if I can send whatever VA medical records I can download to a Doctor to get more answers. Or at least before a second opinion appointment.

Yesterday went to U of Minn for PET/CT scan of heart. Dr told hubby he will try to call him by Thursday of this week with results. We are hoping sooner. I know I sound a bit frantic but this is an odd situation with VA involved.

Thank you folks for whatever you can help me with.