What is a normal range for Chromogranin A test. Mine was 99 in 2021.

Posted by ladyrebel5 @ladyrebel5, Jun 11 8:59pm

I had my first Chromogranin A blood test in 2021. 2 months after I had the lower lobe of my left lung removed due to Cancer. Was then told I have Carcinoid tumors and TUMORLETTS in the middle lobe of my right lung. Nothing else has been done except ct scans every six months. Had a PET Scan April 9,2024. Got several different answers. Now I am really confused. I’m 74 years old and have never smoked. I don’t understand what is going on or how this could happen to a non-smoker. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Neuroendocrine Tumors (NETs) Support Group.

Firstly, there exists conflicting options within the medical profession as to whether this test is meaningful - many say that test results can be dependent on factors unrelated to cancer (e.g. NET's) which causes a lot of variability in test results. In addition, the data needs to come from the same testing lab (or labs using identical testing methods) if one is attempting to use this test as a cancer marker. Many (most?) oncologists rely primarily on imaging to determine treatment options vs. blood tests.
While some investigations have attempted to develop a blood test to monitor cancer treatment efficacy, none are available currently to my knowledge.
Our experience is based on test results conducted at the Mayo Clinic Laboratories test facility from blood samples collected at Fred Hutch - Seattle. The Mayo reports state a level less than 93 ng/mL is desired.
I wish you all the best - keep asking questions - knowledge is power.
Mark

Thank you very kindly.

I agree with markmark007. I have two oncologists that I am working with and they both say that the Chromogranin A blood test is not an accurate test for neuroendocrine tumors since other things can impact the test results. I have had higher results than your and my doctors were not concerned about it. Best wishes!

@flippo

I agree with markmark007. I have two oncologists that I am working with and they both say that the Chromogranin A blood test is not an accurate test for neuroendocrine tumors since other things can impact the test results. I have had higher results than your and my doctors were not concerned about it. Best wishes!

Jump to this post

Mostly what I’ve read explains chromogranin a is a reliable bio marker for endocrine cancers. It must be of some importance because I’ve been tested for it every 4 weeks since early 2017 when I had a 10cm tumor removed along with the kidney and adrenal gland. The diagnosis was extra adrenal paraganglioma. Fast forward to today and my last result was just over 6000. I saw the radiation Dr. last week and will have IMRT to the sacrum for disease progression. The City of Hope Oncologist doesn’t talk much about the chromogranin but the Endocrinologist says it is concerning. All I know is the number has really skyrocketed the last 12-16 months and I worry each time I visit Labcorp and what the next result will be.
Thanks and God Bless

Could anyone tell me if taking Nexium 40 mg daily for about 4 months non-stop can affect CgA levels significantly? My sister's CgA was 200 February 27th and now it's 800.

@ekri

Could anyone tell me if taking Nexium 40 mg daily for about 4 months non-stop can affect CgA levels significantly? My sister's CgA was 200 February 27th and now it's 800.

Jump to this post

from what i have been told it can increase your cga but you must stop taking it 2 weeks before your cga blood test.

@siluka

from what i have been told it can increase your cga but you must stop taking it 2 weeks before your cga blood test.

Jump to this post

Thank you.

Most people have replied about CgA. I live in Uk and have grade 1, small bowel NETs, stage 4. my CgA has always been low even before treatment started I’m on lanreotide injections since November 2023. The NETs are stable so no growth currently .
Id say about smoking that I have never smoked and always been very health conscious eating and shocked everyone when I got my diagnosis. I don’t believe NET cancer in the lungs is the same as lung cancer which smoking is related to . It is cancer in the neuro endocrine cells in the lungs in your case . Hope this helps it’s a rare cancer.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.