Stage IV ureter cancer in 2021, new diagnosis anal cancer

Posted by amyb5 @amyb5, Mar 5, 2023

I had surgery, chemotherapy & radiation therapy in 2021 for ureter cancer. Now I’ve been diagnosed with anal cancer, with lymph node involvement. Does anyone have experience with this combination? We’re waiting for biopsy pathology results to find out what the treatment plan will be. The thought of more treatment is daunting. I have (dormant) MS, & active Graves’ disease, so immunotherapy is not an option, I’ve been told.

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Colorectal Cancer Support Group.

I would love to see you update your progress since March 5th. It would be wonderful to hear that something positive has taken place !
I'm sure that you have found information here and at other places online concerning Anal cancer.
I sincerely pray that you are doing well !
Best wishes always, Paul

I had 6 weeks (30 treatments) of chemo radiotherapy. I was supposed to have 2 chemotherapy courses, but only got through 1. My platelets got down to 16, along with other low blood counts & had a really hard time recovering. I had a really hard time staying hydrated, & it was extremely painful. I have 1st-3rd degree burns in the areas that were radiated, but that has significantly improved as of this week. I am still on a fentanyl patch, but hoping to wean off of it in the next week or so. I’ll be honest, I have never been through anything this painful before, & I have been through quite a bit. Now we wait to see what the scans show. The first scans will be in August, as they have to wait for the area to recover. We’ve been told that often there will be residual cancer at the three month scan, but the six month scan will tell us how successful the treatment was. I’m working on getting my strength back, so we can enjoy some of the summer. I’m glad this treatment is behind me. Sorry to be less than upbeat. This was a tough one.

Your experiences really test the meaning of benefits being greater than the side effects of a procedure.
The unimaginable pain of burns from radiation is an extreme test of that theory.
I can only hope and pray that your scans will continue to show no new evidence of metastatic disease going forward.
Thank you for the updated information and best wishes and blessings always !
Paul

@amyb5

I had 6 weeks (30 treatments) of chemo radiotherapy. I was supposed to have 2 chemotherapy courses, but only got through 1. My platelets got down to 16, along with other low blood counts & had a really hard time recovering. I had a really hard time staying hydrated, & it was extremely painful. I have 1st-3rd degree burns in the areas that were radiated, but that has significantly improved as of this week. I am still on a fentanyl patch, but hoping to wean off of it in the next week or so. I’ll be honest, I have never been through anything this painful before, & I have been through quite a bit. Now we wait to see what the scans show. The first scans will be in August, as they have to wait for the area to recover. We’ve been told that often there will be residual cancer at the three month scan, but the six month scan will tell us how successful the treatment was. I’m working on getting my strength back, so we can enjoy some of the summer. I’m glad this treatment is behind me. Sorry to be less than upbeat. This was a tough one.

Jump to this post

Did you have proton or photon radiation?
Hope you heal quickly. Please keep us updated.

@samclembeau

Did you have proton or photon radiation?
Hope you heal quickly. Please keep us updated.

Jump to this post

I’m not sure, but based on what I’ve read since you asked the question, I’m guessing photon.

@amyb5

I’m not sure, but based on what I’ve read since you asked the question, I’m guessing photon.

Jump to this post

thank you. hope you are doing well.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.