Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

@katz5151

I understand what your going through all to well. Going in for another bone scan and a allergy test. Maybe these tests were not done correctly or things have changed to reveal the problem. Pain is still there after the last surgery and instability is always there. I find myself worrying about when the knee will finally give out. I have had bad dreams about it. Sleeping at night is always a challenge. To much nerve pain. I wish you all the best, stay strong and keep in touch.

Jump to this post

katz you mentioned difficulty sleeping. If you are a side sleeper and aren't doing these things, here are some suggestions:

Place a firm memory foam queen or king pillow between your knees
Put a yoga bolster against your back to support it
Put a smaller pillow in front of you to rest your "up" arm on

These things help me a great deal. I hope you find this useful and all the best.

@sallyweise

You might want to look into the possibility of a bakers cyst behind the knee. I developed one and had to massage and keep pushing on it to get rid of it or make it smaller. Painful to push on it but can dissolve over time with massaging.

Jump to this post

Great advice. Bakers Cysts are hidden during knee replacement surgery and they don't always appear on x-rays. I had one removed through arthroscopy many years ago when I ran marathons, via arthroscope. Both knees have been replaced now and all is well.

I haven't heard about breaking up the cyst manually. If that's possible, I'd suggest a trained therapist or masseuse.

I'm on my 2nd TKR, I had my left done last year, my right just 2 weeks ago. Both had issues with the outside tendon popping, starting at about 2 weeks. It is distracting and mildly painful. Any suggestions on how to get past this? (I know it's part of healing and swelling)

@mayo22

I'm on my 2nd TKR, I had my left done last year, my right just 2 weeks ago. Both had issues with the outside tendon popping, starting at about 2 weeks. It is distracting and mildly painful. Any suggestions on how to get past this? (I know it's part of healing and swelling)

Jump to this post

mayo - the popping might be the lateral collateral ligament, and if it is I'm not sure how to stop the sound.

It might also be the illiotibial band (ITB). You could try this stretch for both legs.

Stand up straight and cross one foot right over the other so there is no space between the feet.

Try to touch your toes and go as far as you can without pushing past that point. Keep your knees locked straight. You should feel a stretch on the outside of the knee of the crossed foot. This is the ITB being gently stretched.

Hold for 30 seconds to one minute. Slowly stand up, reverse the process for the other knee.

The ITB runs from the hip to just below the outside of the knee. The ITB usually gets tight in runners who do not stretch, and it can get tight if you haven't exercised in a while.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, check with your doc.

(And yeah, it could be due to the swelling, and that will resolve over time.)

@heyjoe415

mayo - the popping might be the lateral collateral ligament, and if it is I'm not sure how to stop the sound.

It might also be the illiotibial band (ITB). You could try this stretch for both legs.

Stand up straight and cross one foot right over the other so there is no space between the feet.

Try to touch your toes and go as far as you can without pushing past that point. Keep your knees locked straight. You should feel a stretch on the outside of the knee of the crossed foot. This is the ITB being gently stretched.

Hold for 30 seconds to one minute. Slowly stand up, reverse the process for the other knee.

The ITB runs from the hip to just below the outside of the knee. The ITB usually gets tight in runners who do not stretch, and it can get tight if you haven't exercised in a while.

I hope this helps. If it doesn't, check with your doc.

(And yeah, it could be due to the swelling, and that will resolve over time.)

Jump to this post

Thanks, will add that to my exercise list starting today!

@cobweb

i should not laugh but when i went through physical therapy we were near a doctors office. The screams brought the nurses running down the hall. They came from me as i was breaking the scar tissue. I still do not have the flexibility i ad before replacement but it will have to do. I do now people that have had to have surgery to break the scar tissue. I was told how wonderful it would be to have a knee replacement and to be able to play tennis again etc. Golf is my sport of choice now.
The knee brace i have for the left knee that i purchased for stem cells has the have the hand cranks. Love the brace. Wear it when i golf, biking and gardening. Would recommend it to anyone as it has great support. Its not like like that are advertised or what you see young people wearing in sports.
I do have a friend who will be undergoing scar tissue surgery. I knew he would hve to have it done as he did nothing at home. Another friend did nothing, had her surgery for scar tissue , had second knee done and learned her lesson and did the therapy at home. Hard work, painful, but as they say, growing old ain't for sissies.

Jump to this post

Could you tell me the name of the stem cell brace and where you purchased it?

It has been 3 1/2 months since my TKR. I am 72 years old and after 2 months of PT my ROM was 120. I am experiencing stiffness in my knee due to scar tissue. I am thinking of trying the Graston massage technique to try to break up the scar tissue. Has anyone had experience with this technique?

That is amazing range good for you …graston technique they use tools to workout the scar tissue check this out help you understand .. it is helpful…
You can watch video to see how they do also ….. good luck

@annekaz52

It has been 3 1/2 months since my TKR. I am 72 years old and after 2 months of PT my ROM was 120. I am experiencing stiffness in my knee due to scar tissue. I am thinking of trying the Graston massage technique to try to break up the scar tissue. Has anyone had experience with this technique?

Jump to this post

I agree with ezas, 120 ROM 3.5 mos after a TKR is very good. That was the end goal when I started post-op PT.

Actually with that ROM I'm surprised you have scar tissue. Has your Dr. confirmed it's there?

Another idea is to get on a stationary bike at the gym to gently provide motion to the knee. It's not necessary to be a champion at spin class. Just find a recumbent bike and pedal for 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week, or whatever you can.

@heyjoe415

I agree with ezas, 120 ROM 3.5 mos after a TKR is very good. That was the end goal when I started post-op PT.

Actually with that ROM I'm surprised you have scar tissue. Has your Dr. confirmed it's there?

Another idea is to get on a stationary bike at the gym to gently provide motion to the knee. It's not necessary to be a champion at spin class. Just find a recumbent bike and pedal for 30 minutes 4 or 5 times a week, or whatever you can.

Jump to this post

Thank you for the suggestion. I am now upping my at home exercises.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.