Scar tissue after knee replacement

Posted by leithlane @leithlane, Jan 31, 2017

I had knee replacement surgery 6 weeks ago . Through PT I have been working on breaking up the scar tissue only for it to regrow by the time I get back to PT two days later. I have been massaging at home, using a hand held massager and roller. It is painful and swollen. I am getting very disheartened. Any suggestions as to what else I can do. Has anyone had laser treatments to break up scar tissue? Were they effective?

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Joint Replacements Support Group.

FWIW I don't think any "regenerative" medicine will be better than a properly performed TKR. The meniscus and articular cannot be regenerated, so any fix is temporary. I can understand not wanting a surgery after a bad experience, but I'd find a good surgeon who does revisions.

All the best to all of you. Joe

i did go to the Dr for a replacement, twice, and he said the pain and do over would not be worth it. So, i live with it.

I have found that if I don't do what I'm supposed to do at home between therapy sessions things get worse. My therapist stretched me yesterday an got me to 120 ROM and it hurt like crap. They bumped me to 2x a week from 3. I am 8 weeks out....drove at 3 weeks and it was my right knee, walking 4-6,000 steps a day and back to daily activities. By evening I'm in bed by 8 as my leg hurts and I'm done. Did the surgeon say why the scar tissue grows back to quickly. Your inflammation (I still have lots and can't take nsaids) should be going down and the scar tissue getting better. It is a process though. I do still feel I have a "band" around the middle of my leg and my thigh muscles hurt so bad and are really tight sometimes. Good luck to you. Maybe a second opinion?

@cindymattern

I have found that if I don't do what I'm supposed to do at home between therapy sessions things get worse. My therapist stretched me yesterday an got me to 120 ROM and it hurt like crap. They bumped me to 2x a week from 3. I am 8 weeks out....drove at 3 weeks and it was my right knee, walking 4-6,000 steps a day and back to daily activities. By evening I'm in bed by 8 as my leg hurts and I'm done. Did the surgeon say why the scar tissue grows back to quickly. Your inflammation (I still have lots and can't take nsaids) should be going down and the scar tissue getting better. It is a process though. I do still feel I have a "band" around the middle of my leg and my thigh muscles hurt so bad and are really tight sometimes. Good luck to you. Maybe a second opinion?

Jump to this post

The thigh muscles (quadriceps) can hurt after TKR for a few reasons. One is that the surgeon has to make a small incision in the Quad to be able to release the patella and move it out of the way for the surgery.

Another reason for quad pain is a delayed reaction to the tourniquet they put on during surgery. This will also make the inside of your thigh black and blue, but it's not unusual and goes away with time.

@cindymattern

Jump to this post

I have that same issue with my knee feeling like a rubber band is around it after 12 weeks after a reversion knee surgery. Doctor put my new knee part from almost top of my leg to my ankle. Did not tell me till my 6 week check up. Then he was like it might take up to 6 months to a year to heel. My knee still hurts so bad. It burns like fire I cannot stand anything touching it. Measure yesterday around knee. It still has 1.5 to 2 inches of swelling from knee to my foot. How do you get the swelling down. I don’t sleep at night because of the pain. Don’t want to go anywhere. I do my exercises. Not everyday. Even do extra and ride my exercise bike.

@dpfay2016

I have that same issue with my knee feeling like a rubber band is around it after 12 weeks after a reversion knee surgery. Doctor put my new knee part from almost top of my leg to my ankle. Did not tell me till my 6 week check up. Then he was like it might take up to 6 months to a year to heel. My knee still hurts so bad. It burns like fire I cannot stand anything touching it. Measure yesterday around knee. It still has 1.5 to 2 inches of swelling from knee to my foot. How do you get the swelling down. I don’t sleep at night because of the pain. Don’t want to go anywhere. I do my exercises. Not everyday. Even do extra and ride my exercise bike.

Jump to this post

Sorry meant to add when I ask doctor why it went all the way down my leg he said for extra support. To me that just means more arthritis, bursitis and scar tissue. Not happy at all with the revision knee surgery.

I know this post is 5 yrs old, BUT so glad it is here that I might go back and read the responses received. I’m at week 7 and having same experience.

I’m not familiar with the lazer therapy but I recently git a second opinion because of my excessive scar tissue and I did have surgery to remove scar tissue but it had come back just as bad and limited ROM. The second opinion doctor has proposed doing revision, remove implant, cut out scar tissue again. Apply radiation and replace old implant with a hinged implant. Not sure what I’m going to do yet. Probably, get another second opinion. Maybe you can ask your doctor about the radiation. Good luck to you.

@dduke

I had the lysis procedure done about eight months after TKR. About 10 months ago.

Jump to this post

Hi
Can you tell me what the recovery time is?

@krenn

Hi
Can you tell me what the recovery time is?

Jump to this post

That post was from 2 1/2 years ago. There is no recovery time. You are on physical therapy immediately and I saw improvement right away. However, it did not last long and now I have less than a 90-degree bend.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.