Looking for information on cost of elacestrant
My mother has metastatic breast cancer, and we have been in initial contact with the Mayo Clinic in Arizona. They have suggested a drug named Elacestrant, which is in expedited approval at the FDA and we hope will be approved shortly.
I'm trying to learn anything I can about expected costs, and I'm not quite sure where to start to track that down. We're located in Canada, so it's a bit confusing for us to know where to start, so if anybody has any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.
@dalehagglund, this does get into complicated territory with expedited drug approvals that may differ between countries. Here are a few avenues I would pursue to help get your questions answered:
Ask your team at Mayo Clinic:
– How long will I need to take elacestrant?
– How much does it cost?
– How do I get approval and access to this medication?
– Does the manufacturer have a "patient assistance" program to help cover the drug costs?
– Can it be shipped to Canada?
Ask your provincial health plan
– Has XX province approved the use of elacestrant?
– Will my provincial health plan cover the cost?
– Can I get access to this drug if recommended for me by Mayo Clinic?
For anyone wishing more information about elacestrant trial and approval:
– Menarini Group's Elacestrant Granted Priority Review by the U.S. FDA for Patients with ER+/HER2- Advanced or Metastatic Breast Cancer https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/menarini-groups-elacestrant-granted-priority-review-by-the-us-fda-for-patients-with-erher2–advanced-or-metastatic-breast-cancer-301604240.html
@dalehagglund, I would anticipate that the medication will be very costly. Usually when drugs are new to the market they are expensive to help cover the cost of research and development that went into the discovery, testing and development of the drug. Often patients need assistance from drug plans or the manufacturer's assistance programs.
Does this help you get started?