Let’s Go Walking! Join me for a virtual walking support group

Posted by Becky, Volunteer Mentor @becsbuddy, Feb 19, 2020

Many of you living with cancer or an autoimmune disease, like me, deal with daily fatigue. You know that exercise is so important to your health, but it’s so hard. There’s always an excuse: it’s too cold or hot, it’s going to rain or it’s raining, or it’s snowy and icy, or I just don’t want to. I, too, have all these excuses, but I have a new rescue dog who wants to go out and who doesn’t care about my excuses! And I’ve got traction devices for my boots.Now I just need a walking group who will keep me accountable. People who say, ‘let’s go for a walk.'

And I thought: What about my virtual friends on MayoClinicConnect?

Mayo Clinic has an easy 12-week walking program to get us started! Here’s the link:
- Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

So let’s form a virtual walking group. We can agree to walk every day and encourage each other through Connect. We can walk outdoors, in a mall, or in the red center, or in the hallways of our apartment building.

Who’s in? Who’s going to join me?

Come on, Let’s Go Walking!

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Just Want to Talk Support Group.

I ‘pushed myself out the door’ late this afternoon. We had snow last night and my little, 15# dog doesn’t really like it. We got 1/2 around the park and he started crying because he was cold (despite his coat)! I then had to carry him all the way home. I don’t really blame him for not liking the cold—I don’t either! We’ll try again tomorrow!

I would like to join the Mayo Clinic virtual walking group. How does it work? How do we keep in touch with one another and encourage one another to get out and walk?

@angelcats

I would like to join the Mayo Clinic virtual walking group. How does it work? How do we keep in touch with one another and encourage one another to get out and walk?

Jump to this post

@angelcats Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect!

Lace up your shoes, or, velcro them closed. If you are in a wheelchair, or on a walking assistance device like a cane, make sure everything is ready to go. [Personally I use two walking sticks for balance!] Dress for the weather wherever you happen to be. And get outside! You don't need to go a long distance, just what is comfortable for you. Got a dog, or a family member there with you? Take them along! Breathe in fresh air, see the sights, listen to the world around you. Repeat as many times a week as you want, going further each time, or making it a routine.

Come back and tell us about your walk. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. We want to experience what joy you find walking.
Ginger

Yesterday I went outside for a short but lovely walk. I hadn’t been outside walking outside for a few days so it felt good to be out there. I was by myself and using my rolling walker for added stability.
By chance I encountered a neighbor and her husband and we talked and walked together for maybe 10 minutes. That was fun! The walking, the socializing, and the fresh air all were good even though I was only out there for maybe 20 minutes.

@loll

Yesterday I went outside for a short but lovely walk. I hadn’t been outside walking outside for a few days so it felt good to be out there. I was by myself and using my rolling walker for added stability.
By chance I encountered a neighbor and her husband and we talked and walked together for maybe 10 minutes. That was fun! The walking, the socializing, and the fresh air all were good even though I was only out there for maybe 20 minutes.

Jump to this post

Hello- After most of a week off to fight a nasty cold/respiratory virus, I laced (zipped) up my shoes this weekend - 1/2 miles yesterday, 2 walks today a little over 1/2 mile each. It felt good to be out, greeting neighbors and looking to see what has changed in a week.
Sue

I was a jogger prior to THR in January. I started back walking outdoors in late March . I finally started to feel somewhat back to normal at 6 months post op. I walked 6 miles today with friends. This is my longest distance post op. I am signed up for a 10k at the end of January. It feels good to walk that far and not have pain afterwards.

@gingerw

@angelcats Welcome to Mayo Clinic Connect!

Lace up your shoes, or, velcro them closed. If you are in a wheelchair, or on a walking assistance device like a cane, make sure everything is ready to go. [Personally I use two walking sticks for balance!] Dress for the weather wherever you happen to be. And get outside! You don't need to go a long distance, just what is comfortable for you. Got a dog, or a family member there with you? Take them along! Breathe in fresh air, see the sights, listen to the world around you. Repeat as many times a week as you want, going further each time, or making it a routine.

Come back and tell us about your walk. It doesn't need to be anything fancy. We want to experience what joy you find walking.
Ginger

Jump to this post

Hi @angelcats, welcome to the virtual walking group. I hope you saw @gingerw's explanation of how it works.

In brief, get walking at your pace and enjoyment, and share your success by posting about your walk here. You can share things like where you walked, what you saw or how far you went. If you need some motivation by following a schedule, click this link.

– Get walking with this 12-week walking schedule https://newsnetwork.mayoclinic.org/discussion/get-walking-with-this-12-week-walking-schedule/

To get to know your fellow walkers, read through the past comments. When you return from your walk, post a comment and tell us how you did. I usually walk first thing in the morning. Rain prevented me this morning, but it has stopped now so I better get out there.

@walk4life

I was a jogger prior to THR in January. I started back walking outdoors in late March . I finally started to feel somewhat back to normal at 6 months post op. I walked 6 miles today with friends. This is my longest distance post op. I am signed up for a 10k at the end of January. It feels good to walk that far and not have pain afterwards.

Jump to this post

Welcome to the wonderful world of new body parts. I'm at 18 years and counting either my hips - even revisions didn't make me change my mind. Now I have a knee yelling at me. Will see my ortho in the Spring to consider whether there are still some conservative measures to try. My walk today is a stroll down the streets of our favorite Mexican border town taking in the sights and sounds of holiday preparations in two cultures and languages. What a treat to reconnect with all our friends and acquaintances here. Now on our way to have lunch and margaritas in our favorite restaurant. Most walks are not quite as much fun.

I love waking. I took it up during the pandemic and could walk neatly 5-7 miles each walk.

Since my CHrcc diagnosis, I can now only walk 3 miles. I did this yesterday in the brisk cool air. I sometimes walk in quiet but yesterday, I packed a small speaker in my fanny pack to enjoy Christmas music. It was lovely and other walkers smiled!

Cindy

Please sign in or register to post a reply.