Does your Artificial Urinary Sphincter AUS800 leak?

Posted by budisnothome @budisnothome, Feb 20 8:09am

I know there are a couple of guys that have helped me in the past, My AUS has been activated for only 2 months. It took a few months to heal before the doc would activate it. Do you leak when you sneeze or cough? Can you feel your cuff on your bottom? When I sit down on a hard surface, it seems to activate the cuff and I leak. Is your cuff activated by anything else? Doc used a larger cuff to start, and will probably have another surgery to install a smaller cuff? Has anyone had another surgery to change cuff sizes? Usually, I only need to pump it once before I start to pee. How many times do you need to pump your cuff? Thank you for your help. Very new at this .

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Prostate Cancer Support Group.

Good questions, @budisnothome. I'm tagging fellow members like @seamayofan @jonbuuck @scullrower @alw @sam60, who have experience with an artificial urinary sphincter and can share their tips and experiences regarding leaking, cuff sizes and pumping.

I have a question for you too. Did you get a medical bracelet indicating that you have an AUS?

I had confidence in my surgeon to determine the correct cuff size. After a while pumping comes natural. My AUS was very sensitive. Very little pressure does the job. I’ve gotten use to urinating sitting down. I’ve had the sphincter for eight years. I’ve had problems with overactive bladder which can sometimes force urine through the AUS. I still use light pads to catch leaks. The sphincter has helped me a lot.

@colleenyoung

Good questions, @budisnothome. I'm tagging fellow members like @seamayofan @jonbuuck @scullrower @alw @sam60, who have experience with an artificial urinary sphincter and can share their tips and experiences regarding leaking, cuff sizes and pumping.

I have a question for you too. Did you get a medical bracelet indicating that you have an AUS?

Jump to this post

Not yet. But I think I will because I can't get cathetered. Probably good idea? I could not find the old posts. Thank you

@scullrower

I had confidence in my surgeon to determine the correct cuff size. After a while pumping comes natural. My AUS was very sensitive. Very little pressure does the job. I’ve gotten use to urinating sitting down. I’ve had the sphincter for eight years. I’ve had problems with overactive bladder which can sometimes force urine through the AUS. I still use light pads to catch leaks. The sphincter has helped me a lot.

Jump to this post

I have had a couple of urethroplasty surgeries to repair bad urethra. Last one to install aus doc had to wrap a piece of muscle from my lower penis around urethra. Muscle will atrophy and shrink causing loose cuff. Another surgery this summer to put in a smaller cuff and see how long it will last

@colleenyoung

Jump to this post

Thanks, Colleen. I've had my AUS for almost four years. My experience is similar to scullrower. It took me several months to heal and become accustom to using the AUS. I did not need to have a second surgery to address the cuff size. Yes, the valve is sensitive, so I need to make sure I'm sitting on a flat surface. When I have caffeine or alcohol, my bladder is more sensitive and causes leaks. I always wear a light pad. I'm on a plane several times a month, and lifting my suitcase into the overhead bin can cause a leak. I have had to learn to Kegel before I lift or stand to help with the leaking. I did have my AUS during my radiation, which may have impacted the strength of it. Now for the good news: the AUS allows me to live my life normally. If you'd like to discuss in further detail, I'm happy to connect virtually or by phone, just private message me. I wish you all the best.

@jonbuuck

Thanks, Colleen. I've had my AUS for almost four years. My experience is similar to scullrower. It took me several months to heal and become accustom to using the AUS. I did not need to have a second surgery to address the cuff size. Yes, the valve is sensitive, so I need to make sure I'm sitting on a flat surface. When I have caffeine or alcohol, my bladder is more sensitive and causes leaks. I always wear a light pad. I'm on a plane several times a month, and lifting my suitcase into the overhead bin can cause a leak. I have had to learn to Kegel before I lift or stand to help with the leaking. I did have my AUS during my radiation, which may have impacted the strength of it. Now for the good news: the AUS allows me to live my life normally. If you'd like to discuss in further detail, I'm happy to connect virtually or by phone, just private message me. I wish you all the best.

Jump to this post

Thank you. Helps me alot. Some leakage will happen. Do you leak if you sit on a hard surface like a wood stool or bench? I volunteer 3 times per week at the clinic and can sit on a stool. I leak when I first sit down. I need to be careful when sitting.

I’m curious, has anyone done the AUS after a radical and two rounds of radiation(roughly 80 sessions). My rad onc has stated I’m not a good candidate for this procedure.

@rokski

I’m curious, has anyone done the AUS after a radical and two rounds of radiation(roughly 80 sessions). My rad onc has stated I’m not a good candidate for this procedure.

Jump to this post

Hi. I had prostate removed. Cancer came back in 16 months. 35 radiation treatments. Gross hematuria. radiation cystitis and radiation proctitis. 40 HBO treatment sessions. Had AUS installed. Failed. Revision surgery fail. Cuff caused erosion in my urethra. More surgery. Had urethroplasty to repair radiation caused problems. Many catheters during this and ED visits and admitted to hospital. Had suprapubic catheter for 12 months to allow urethra to heal. Had new AUS installed. Had to wait 2 months to heal before activation of the AUS. So far, only 2 months into it and many questions. Yes, it can be done, but if your system is not in good condition, it may not work. My doc gave me a 50% chance of working for a couple of years because my urethra is shot, small bladder and lots of other problems. I found a urologist who specializes in radiation caused problems. He is working wonders with me. Choose your surgeon carefully. Many can install the AUS, but only a few can fix the radiation caused problems and have the AUS actually work. Good luck.

@budisnothome

Thank you. Helps me alot. Some leakage will happen. Do you leak if you sit on a hard surface like a wood stool or bench? I volunteer 3 times per week at the clinic and can sit on a stool. I leak when I first sit down. I need to be careful when sitting.

Jump to this post

One does need to pay attention when sitting, but I have found that if I initially sit on the edge of the chair and slide back after sitting, I am less likely to leak.

@jonbuuck

One does need to pay attention when sitting, but I have found that if I initially sit on the edge of the chair and slide back after sitting, I am less likely to leak.

Jump to this post

Ok. I will try that. Thank you

Please sign in or register to post a reply.