Bi-rad 4: Surgical excision recommended for me
I did a 3D mammogram (BILATERAL DIGITAL DIAGNOSTIC MAMMOGRAPHY TOMO WITH CAD) with BI-RADS Category 4: Suspicious Abnormality (very dense breast with Radiologist recommended sugical excision (because The calcifications in question do not appear to reside on the skin surface. None of the calcifications are amenable to stereotactic biopsy due to the extremely faint breast compression, as little as 6 mm.). The obgyn dr assured me this does not mean I have cancel but just need to have a breast surgeon to do the biopsy to confirm. I’m really scared and not understand why surgical excision is required in my case. Is it normal recommendation for flat chested women? I am waiting for my first appointment with a breast surgeon this Friday but would like to know if there is any other less invasive alternatives.
Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.
Get an MRI and look into additional doctors opinions.
Hope everything will be fine with you.
you're lucky! I wanted surgical excision just to get it out! Birads 4 also. But no one would let me so biopsy was awful and still had to have surgery!
Hi @cpp, I wanted to check in with you and see how you are doing? Did you get a second opinion? What have you decided as next steps?
Thanks for following up with me. The breast surgeon agreed to let me wait 6 months for another mammogram. My next one is scheduled for June 1st. I’ll do surgical excision / biopsy if it’s still required.
Best wishes to you. I agree with getting another opinion when you are in doubt. You have nothing to lose and waiting may often be of benefit.