LF Reconstruction: Anyone have their implants removed years later?

Posted by savannah1959 @savannah1959, Mar 16, 2022

Hi All: In 2013 I was diagnosed with BC had bilateral mastectomy and chose Latissimus Flap (LF) reconstruction. Let me start out by saying I am SO grateful I caught it early and am cancer free now. But I feel the LF reconstruction left me with a number of symptoms that time has not helped. In addition, recently found out I the implants were recalled. I moved from the area where I had the surgeries, was never notified and it was like pulling teeth to find out! Even though I healed nicely according to the experts, I have never felt good since. Long story, but at 1 year post op I had to seek help from orthopedic doc to get PT approved which I did 3 times a week for 6 months in 2015. It is getting close to the 10 year mark and I think I want the implants removed. The reconstruction looks good, but I don't feel good with a long list of things I won't bore you with. Has any one else had similar experiences? Does anyone know of a surgeon who will listen in the St Augustine Florida area so I can figure out if I have any options that may help me feel better in the future?

(I want to thank this website...I was pushed back then to go on Effexor. Was on it from 2014 to 2021. This website helped me wean off after trying unsuccessfully for many years. I am so grateful!)

Interested in more discussions like this? Go to the Breast Cancer Support Group.

Let me re-phrase the bit about Effexor: It was suggested several times. Out of desperation to get some sleep, I started on Effexor. Obviously, no one forced me but, I had no idea how awful it would be to stop taking it. I guess I didn't know the questions to ask (?). I have learned so much through this experience and over the years: if you don't know what to ask, you may not get the information you need for the present or the future. With cancer, we are given options and we make our own treatment decisions. So, yes, we "own" our decisions. This can be both good and bad.

@savannah1959 I’m sorry you’ve had such a difficult time with decisions around the implants. There are several discussions about implants and removing them/or not. I’m going to ask @basslakebabe19 and @ellens if they would join the discussion.
- Implants: News and questions about recalls https://connect.mayoclinic.org/discussion/news-and-implants/
Have you approached Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville for information and help?

Thank you Becky! I am checking to see if Mayo is in my insurance plan : )

Hi--I got silicone implants in 1981 at Mayo in Rochester. I was tired of being flat-chested. In 2001 I developed rheumatoid arthritis when I was under a lot of emotional stress. I wondered about the implants, too. Finally, in 2005 I had enough $ to have the implants removed. I paid out of pocket, $5000. I went to a plastic surgeon in Bozeman, MT, and he said that both implants were ruptured. I am relieved to have them out of my body and life. My Dr tried to get Blue Cross (my health insurance company at the time) to help with the cost but they refused.

@ellens

Hi--I got silicone implants in 1981 at Mayo in Rochester. I was tired of being flat-chested. In 2001 I developed rheumatoid arthritis when I was under a lot of emotional stress. I wondered about the implants, too. Finally, in 2005 I had enough $ to have the implants removed. I paid out of pocket, $5000. I went to a plastic surgeon in Bozeman, MT, and he said that both implants were ruptured. I am relieved to have them out of my body and life. My Dr tried to get Blue Cross (my health insurance company at the time) to help with the cost but they refused.

Jump to this post

Thank you ellens for your reply. Very much appreciated.

@savannah1959

Let me re-phrase the bit about Effexor: It was suggested several times. Out of desperation to get some sleep, I started on Effexor. Obviously, no one forced me but, I had no idea how awful it would be to stop taking it. I guess I didn't know the questions to ask (?). I have learned so much through this experience and over the years: if you don't know what to ask, you may not get the information you need for the present or the future. With cancer, we are given options and we make our own treatment decisions. So, yes, we "own" our decisions. This can be both good and bad.

Jump to this post

I didnt get implants after my double MX because of the 100 chemicals that are in them. Google it hun.

I’m a little worried now. I’m scheduled for bilateral mastectomy and expanders in July. Then implants 3 months later. Scared now

I wonder if it is the silicone that is the issue. Would be curious if saline cause these issues. I do not have implants as I chose lumpectomy /radiation, so I am not a good resource for you. But I would likely have chosen saline had I taken that route. There is also an autograft solution (taking tissue from abdomen and sliding it under the skin to the breast). That is the best in my opinion, but only done in Rochester and year long wait list. I am in Minnesota. There maybe other places as well. I wish you the best.

@sblair

I wonder if it is the silicone that is the issue. Would be curious if saline cause these issues. I do not have implants as I chose lumpectomy /radiation, so I am not a good resource for you. But I would likely have chosen saline had I taken that route. There is also an autograft solution (taking tissue from abdomen and sliding it under the skin to the breast). That is the best in my opinion, but only done in Rochester and year long wait list. I am in Minnesota. There maybe other places as well. I wish you the best.

Jump to this post

Hi sblair, I had double masectomy done January 2023 and implants done at the same time. Is it normal to be feeling like a an elephant is on my chest after waking up in the mornings? I regretting the choice of putting implants.

Please sign in or register to post a reply.