← Return to What % of women with ADH contract breast cancer

Discussion
bd2486 (@bd2486)

What % of women with ADH contract breast cancer

Breast Cancer | Last Active: Jul 31, 2023 | Replies (16)

Comment receiving replies
@debbie2721

I am very sorry you aren't getting the information that you need. There are many of us with ADH. I had a annual mammogram when a radiologist notice very small calcifications. I was sent for additional mammogram, then a stereostatic biopsy, and was sent to a breast surgeon for a lumpectomy. ADH was the diagnosis and no cancer. However, I was sent to an oncologist and put on anastrozole for 5 yrs. I would suggest that you go to a breast cancer surgeon and get a second opinion. I agree that they don't tell you much about ADH. Hopefully you will get some answers here on this forum. Best of luck.

Jump to this post


Replies to "I am very sorry you aren't getting the information that you need. There are many of..."

Were you also suggested to do increased monitoring (e.g. MRIs and mammo every 6 mos)?

I am the same as you as far as being sent to a surgeon right after diagnosis of ADH. I am struggling with the idea of having surgery. I was also told I would be having MRI every year and mammograms, and they would be offset from each other by 6 months. I have no plans of taking any meds. The weird thing is - I have had a dimpled area in the same area as the ADH was found, for the past 7 years. The dimpled area has not changed in that time. I suppose that could be a good sign, or it could be bad. The surgeon I was sent to is very talented at surgery and not leaving scars and disfigurement , but he was not the one who decided I needed to have the tissue out in the first place. I guess it was the radiologist- who then expected my primary doctor to explain it. I am sure I should get the Excisional Biopsy. It’s the safe and smart thing to do , to prevent a worse scenario. However I am going to still try and find a good surgeon to do a local with light sedation ( no intubation and no general anesthesia) and I may decide not to go forward if the area has no increase in size. I am looking forward to talking to a doctor with more expertise in ADH. And I am also going to have another pathologist review the slides to make sure that is agreed that the cells are ADH. I am probably going overboard. But I want to be confident in my decision if I go forward with a surgery. I have also wondered if it’s possible to redo the Core needle biopsies, if the area comes back as exactly the same in size.