← Return to Bowel incontinence

emyliander (@emyliander)

Bowel incontinence

Digestive Health | Last Active: Jul 8, 2021 | Replies (104)

Comment receiving replies

Hi @maisy3 As suggested, a pelvic floor specialist (urogynecologist) would probably be able to help you, or depending on some factors be able to direct you to a doctor who can. There is speciality physical therapy for both urinary incontinence and fecal incontinence.

Also, when I had some problems with getting a diagnosis from a family doctor I was advised by two other doctors that as you get older your PCP should be a doctor of internal medicine, they are generally better diagnosticians. Family doctors are great in the capacity of treating the whole family – children and parents – but as we age we need more specialized treatment. I did switch and am glad that I did.

Jump to this post

Replies to "Hi @maisy3 As suggested, a pelvic floor specialist (urogynecologist) would probably be able to help you,..."

Actually I see a nurse practitioner. I have never seen the MD although the primary care facility put me with him just so the insurance card would state that I have one. The Dr. I went to retired some time ago and I was seeing the physician's assistant who I really liked. Then she left. So many changes. The NPR I see now is pretty good so far. It seems they are using these nurses more and more these days. I see one at the arthritis center I go to every three months. The MD sees you once or twice then you have to do virtual visits or see the NPR. Since I have to get blood drawn regularly, obviously I need an in-person visit. Modern health care leaves a lot to be desired. I prefer the "good old days." Doctor visits were so uncomplicated back then. They would even make house calls. Imagine that!

  Request Appointment