← Return to Bowel incontinence

emyliander (@emyliander)

Bowel incontinence

Digestive Health | Last Active: Jul 8, 2021 | Replies (104)

Comment receiving replies

I am desperate so I will try to get an appt. with family dr. I find they are not very helpful with most things so I just try to treat myself. With this bowel incontinence I must find something that will help me but not be harmful or interact with my meds that I take for psoriatic arthritis. I just turned 86 and am feeling it now.

Jump to this post

Replies to "I am desperate so I will try to get an appt. with family dr. I find..."

Hi Maisy, welcome. I can imagine that bowel incontinence is distressing. Do you know what the underlying cause is?

Hello @maisy3,

I read your post about bowel incontinence. When you see your doctor or talk with him/her you might consider asking for a referral to a pelvic floor therapist. They are very good at treating both urine and bowel incontinence.

Did your symptoms of incontinence begin after starting a new medication?

Hi @maisy3 As suggested, a pelvic floor specialist (urogynecologist) would probably be able to help you, or depending on some factors be able to direct you to a doctor who can. There is speciality physical therapy for both urinary incontinence and fecal incontinence.

Also, when I had some problems with getting a diagnosis from a family doctor I was advised by two other doctors that as you get older your PCP should be a doctor of internal medicine, they are generally better diagnosticians. Family doctors are great in the capacity of treating the whole family – children and parents – but as we age we need more specialized treatment. I did switch and am glad that I did.

  Request Appointment