← Return to CT scan

Discussion
sharonp51 (@sharonp51)

CT scan

MAC & Bronchiectasis | Last Active: Sep 7, 2020 | Replies (5)

Comment receiving replies
@bluesplashgirl

My doc wanted me to have a CT scan when this was diagnosed again for the second time. I decided not to have a CT scan. In the past two years I have had countless CT scans, MRIs and X-rays so I decided I would just do sputum tests every month. My first sputum in November came back positive in two days so I knew it was there. I started the Big 3 in March and my sputum test in July and August have both been negative.My doctor has said I have to finish the protocol for 12 more months. I was so disappointed but I will continue to do the 7% neb solution and the 3 and sputum tests every month. I do understand that the CT scans are safer but I will wait until the winter to do one since I have to finish the 18 month protocol anyway. If this seems not right to you, Sue, please let me know. I have learned so much from this group!

Jump to this post


Replies to "My doc wanted me to have a CT scan when this was diagnosed again for the..."

Carolyn – I would say waiting to do your CT until you are ready to stop antibiotics is prudent – that way they can see if any cavities have resolved as well as the sputum samples testing negative.
Do you know if each sample is being sent for a full culture? It seems as if the one from August could not be back this quickly – MAC has to grow for 4-6 weeks to be detected in a culture. The rapid (AFB?) test is not necessarily definitive in detecting MAC.
Sue

  Request Appointment