I've been having swallowing problems for a few years. A bolus often pauses until the upper esophageal sphincter opens. Then the rings in my esophagus fire randomly instead of in order. Then the bolus stops at the lower esophageal sphincter until it decides to open.
At lunch today I had two strips of crisp bacon, and it took 45 seconds to get from putting a small bite in my mouth to feeling it leave the esophagus. I'm losing weight slowly because I get tired of chewing and swallowing, and I often put the rest of my meal in a container in the fridge, to eat another day.
One of my sisters had significant swallowing issues along with other things and died after years of seeing all kinds of specialists with no diagnosis. She was in her 50s, and had always been very health conscious.