← Return to Transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS) for long-term depression

Comment receiving replies

I did TMS for depression. Normally, it costs about $200 for daily sessions, five days a week, for about six weeks. With Medicare, it cost me $40 a session. TMS, for me, long term-depression, it helped dramatically for about 6 months. Then it wore off. You can do TMS two 6 week rounds, but I'm still deciding. You see, things I've learned from the TMS (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) neurostar.com - is that, in my lay opinion, depression is a multi-pronged disease, with genetic components, traumatic experiences and losses, social isolation, improper nutrition, lack of exercise, lack of meaning in one's life, goals, and positive people who tell you "yes, you can do it" around you and doing things just for fun that used to make you happy, that unless you have all that, a "non-depression lifestyle" imho, then TMS alone may not be enough. One has to "fix" all of it and make major lifestyle changes if can.

Jump to this post

Replies to "I did TMS for depression. Normally, it costs about $200 for daily sessions, five days a..."

I had TMS for depression back in 2009-2010 at Rush Pres. in Chicago. At that time insurance did not cover the expense. Overall, I had 43 sessions from November 2009 to February 2010. I paid $15,000.00 out of pocket for this treatment. I felt it was a positive experience and had relief from my depression.

Within the past years I have admitted myself in a psychiatric hospital 3 -4 times. I also had ECT while in the last hospital stay. With this treatment I lost a great deal of my memory. I have also had medications of all sorts throughout the years. Recently I was given a genetic test to indicate what medications would be best for me. I feel that I have found the correct medication because of this genetic test, and correct doses which give me relief.

I have recently had 36 TMS treatments at my psychiatrist's office. Medicare paid 80 % and the remaining 20 % was written off as I have limited resources. But, I also realize that life situations create depression. Currently my husband and I are separated although he spends most of the time at my home. For the last year and a half he has provided me with a monetary amount that helps with my expenses since my separation. I am now on a small pension and 1/3 of my Social Security. It is $1,200 a month and my expenses do not cover the bills. Now I wonder if I must make decisions on whether I stay in a marriage that has issues that may not be resolved and continue with times of depression. His pension and Social Security is enormous and he is not financial transparent with me. It seems to be a roller coaster ride. Up and Down!