← Return to Nearing decision time: what treatment?

Discussion
TommyG avatar

Nearing decision time: what treatment?

Prostate Cancer | Last Active: Jul 17 11:48am | Replies (12)

Comment receiving replies
Profile picture for TommyG @tdgillett

Thanks to all who have weighed in on my situation. My wife and I have come to a decision after many consultations with my local urologists/RO and hematologist, as well as my PCP. For an array of reasons--no clear lesions on 2 MRIs, no metastases on PSMA-PET, low PSA density (.04-.06), large prostate (114 cc), age 80, "normal" PSA (5.1, 7.6, 4.5) in recent months, Artera and Decipher not alarming, BPH not causing unacceptable symptoms--I will have PSAs in August and December and an MRI in early 2027 with a possible PET scan following the MRI. We'll see what happens with this approach and adjust if/when we need to do so. I'm still entertaining the possibility of some form of ablation to reduce the size of my prostate so that if/when I decide on treatment, radiation options are included (prostate too large for radiation or focal therapies at this time). And who knows, maybe another treatment that matches my PCa and profile will emerge in the meantime!

Jump to this post


Replies to "Thanks to all who have weighed in on my situation. My wife and I have come..."

@tdgillett
With a prostate that large, you probably are not going to be able to get radiation. Have they given you antibiotics at all? That can help some people with BPH but I guess you need to ask the doctor what they think.

Going on ADT can also shrink your prostate. It may not be something you really want to do, but it may help a lot. Another thing to talk to the doctor about.

Getting the size of that prostate down, can give you a lot more options.

I know one guy that had a huge prostate. Had a PSA of 50 and multiple biopsies showed nothing.. Ended up dying of a totally different type of cancer.

@tdgillett If you decide to treat you might look into the Aquablation for prostate cancer trials (GG3 or below, T2 or below) where both issues can be taken care of in one treatment. Not a candidate so I have not investigated the downsides of this treatment. Just saw that this trial is enrolling.