← Return to Stem Cell Therapy for Arthritic KneesDiscussion
Stem Cell Therapy for Arthritic KneesBones, Joints & Muscles | Last Active: Sep 28, 2022 | Replies (287)
Comment receiving replies
Replies to "I need resources regarding stem cell therapy. I have. great knees but shoulder neck back and..."
Great information Justin. Thank you.
Thank-you for the information. Before I get my hopes up do you know if they will turn me away if I have bone cancer in the same knee?
@lillyanne, unfortunately, I cannot answer that question. I only learned of the process of what happens when a member or patient calls and what they can expect. I do not have the medical expertise to answer specific questions. I think it would still be worth your time to give that number a call during regular business hours and ask them your questions. I’d love to hear back about what you find out and I suspect the other members would as well.
I recently learned more information regarding stem cell treatments at Mayo Clinic and the process for a patient to obtain information. I apologize for the delay in response, but you may find the following information worth your time:
Regenerative Medicine Consult Service Process
Transplant Call-in Center
What to expect when you call the number:
– An employee will answer and ask the nature of why you are calling
– Say you are interested to stem cells for osteoarthritis or whichever joint ails you
– The employee will funnel your call to the appropriate coordinators from there
– For joint issues, you will be transferred to PMR (Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation)
– Appointment coordinators will ask more specific questions (inclusion and exclusion criteria)
– If you meet the criteria:
– You will be asked to send in your records and a doctor will look at it in a case-by-case basis
Important Notes to be Aware of:
– PMR is a busy practice, so wait times may exist but answers will be given
– If a treatment exists in the clinic for a diagnosis (i.e. Leukemia) stem cells are not offered
– Price is out of pocket
– Types of stem cell treatments offered are Bone marrow aspirate concentrate (BMAC) injections and Platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections. You can find more specific information on these types of injections here, http://mayocl.in/2AUIoAn.