← Return to Scared, Frustrated with not being able to make dr appt. need advice

Discussion
Comment receiving replies
Profile picture for Lisa, Volunteer Mentor @lls8000

Welcome to Mayo Connect @dgulovsen, First try to focus on what you know, and not what your mind wants to race ahead to. I know that's not easy, but it will help to manage the waiting. Waiting for appointments, waiting for test results, waiting for even more appointments, etc. I am not a doctor or clinician. I do have lung cancer, and I have a non-cancerous 1 cm lung nodule that just won't go away.
Different types of scanners may pick up different details. From another post, it sounds like your first scan may not have been a CT. The two sets of images may be difficult to compare. Also, there is still a human reviewing the images and writing the report. A 2mm difference may be a difference in the radiologists' interpretation or the angle of the image.
When a doctor recommends a biopsy, they want to be sure they can pinpoint the exact area of the nodule. The last thing they want is an inconclusive biopsy result. As @mamajite mentioned, this is why many pulmonologists will often wait until a nodule is at least 1cm before performing a biopsy. They also don't want to put you through the procedure if the nodule may reduce on its own. Waiting isn't always a bad thing, some like to call it 'active surveillance', so we can feel a little better about it.

Did your pulmonologist order the CT? Have you spoken with that office for their recommended next steps? It may help to have them call in a referral to Yale if that is where you want to continue your care.

Jump to this post


Replies to "Welcome to Mayo Connect @dgulovsen, First try to focus on what you know, and not what..."

Hello, Thank you for the reply. I haven't spoken yet with my Pulmonologist. She ordered ct scan and then I had an appointment to see her in 6 weeks. But the scan was done the following week and so I have all of the imaging and reports and no one to discuss it with. I called and they got me in earlier but that isn't until Friday so 2 weeks of freaking out. This is why I reached out here. What worries me is the waiting until it grows to 1cm and then will might involve my lymph nodes. If it is contained, I'd like to have it removed before it could spread and becomes an entirely different animal to treat.

I would like my pulmonologist to give me a referral to Yale, since they are one of two places that perform robotic assisted bronchoscopies. But I believe the referral needs to come from a pcp not pulmonologist which is confusing. My pcp doesn't know anything because I have't talked to the pulmonologist yet.

I am hoping that the original scan which my pulmonologist said she could barely make out the ground glass might not be accurate and maybe it was larger to begin with rather than actively and quickly growing. I can say that I may but am not certain that I was raised in a home with asbestos popcorn ceilings.