The 5 QTc Preventative Measures
Did you know that there are preventative measures you can take to protect yourself if you have long QT syndrome (LQTS)? In the video below, Dr. Ackerman, a genetic cardiologist, and director of Mayo Clinic’s Genetic Heart Rhythm Clinic reviews the five overarching QT preventative safety measures that patients with long QT syndrome (LQTS) should observe.
For any patient with long QT syndrome (LQTS), the top 5 overarching preventative measures should always be observed:
- QT drug avoidance (www.crediblemeds.org)
- Hydration and electrolyte replenishment, especially in the setting of vomiting and diarrheal illnesses
- Fever reduction in the setting of febrile illnesses and heat exhaustion avoidance
- Omega-3 fish oil supplementation as an optional supplement
- Learn CPR and obtain AED as part of families safety gear