Recipe: Veggie Egg Bake
This egg bake calls for spinach, red peppers, and onions, but feel free to add or substitute your favorite veggies! If you’re worried about running short on time in the morning, consider preparing the dish the night before.
Number of servings: 6
Serving size: One piece (3 by 3.5 inches)
- 1 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary or 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free herb-and-spice blend
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 slices whole-grain bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup diced red pepper
- 4 ounces thinly sliced reduced-fat Swiss cheese
- Heat oven to 375 F. Coat a 7-by-11-inch glass baking dish or a 2-quart casserole with cooking spray.
- Place the spinach in a strainer and press with the back of a spatula to remove excess liquid. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and milk. Add dry mustard, rosemary, spice blend and pepper; whisk to combine.
- Toss spinach, bread, onion and red pepper in a large bowl. Add egg mixture and toss to coat.
- Transfer to prepared baking dish and push down to compact. Cover with foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the eggs have set. Uncover and top with cheese. Continue baking for an additional 15 minutes or until the top is lightly browned.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
- Calories 258
- Total Fat 10 g
- Saturated fat 4g
- Trans fat Trace
- Monounsaturated fat 2 g
- Cholesterol 137 mg
- Sodium 465 mg
- Total carbohydrate 25 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Added Sugars 0 g
- Protein 17 g
For this recipe and more, visit the Mayo Clinic Healthy Recipe Archive