Life is a Beautiful Ride - National Donate Life Month Statistics
During April, National Donate Life Month, Mayo Clinic wants to help with the organ shortage by setting a goal to sign up 1,200 new organ donors. This year the theme for Donate Life Month is “life is a beautiful ride.” Donate Life America explains the theming, “Like the donation and transplantation journey, a bicycle serves as a symbol of progress, renewal and the moving circle of life.” With more than 110,000 Americans waiting for a lifesaving transplant Donate Life Month is a great time to bring awareness to organ donation and transplantation.
With so many organ donation and transplant statistics out there, we want to bring awareness to the following:
- In 2018, more than 36,500 transplants brought renewed life to patients and their families and communities (from more than 10,700 deceased and 6,800 living donors).
- More than 110,000 men, women, and children await lifesaving organ transplants in the U.S.
- Nearly 60% of the people on the transplant waiting list are minorities.
- Sadly, 8,000 people die each year because the organs they need are not donated in time.
- While 95% of Americans are in favor of being a donor, only 58% are registered.
- Another person is added to the nation’s organ transplant waiting list every 10 minutes.
- 22 people die each day because the organ they need is not donated in time.
- 80% of patients on the waiting list are waiting for a kidney. The average waiting time for a kidney from a deceased donor is 3 to 5 years.
- 12% of patients waiting are in need of a liver.
- One organ, eye, and tissue donor can save and heal more than 75 lives.
Data is from the Donate Life America Quarterly Registry Overview Report and the Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) as of January 16, 2019.
As we encourage Americans to become aware of organ donation and transplantation we also celebrate those that have saved lives through the gift of donation. Because life is just simply that, a beautiful ride.
Here are a few ways you can directly make a difference:
- Register to become an organ donor.
- Help bridge the gap by sharing Donate Life content from Mayo Clinic on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.