Badges (1)


Member has chosen to not make this information public.


Member not yet following any Groups.


Member not yet following any Pages.

Posts (3)

Oct 3, 2018 · Ostomy: Adapting to life after colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy in Ostomy

I live in Ontario, Canada. Just the local hospital.

Oct 3, 2018 · Ostomy: Adapting to life after colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy in Ostomy

I don’t think there is anything I could have done differently other than miraculously realize I was sick sooner and know to demand antibiotics at the hospital, but that’s just not how it works.

It’d have been nice if the surgeons hadn’t waited two weeks to do a third CT scan that prompted them to perform emergency surgery that same night, but that’s just timing. I sort of wish I had pressed harder for the surgeon to be sure about taking my staples out yesterday, but the incision was a nice clean line of healing, so who knew?

What ifs and maybes can’t change anything now. I’m glad we have a plan to implement over the next few days that should kickstart the healing process again. That’s about as much as I can ask for now, I think.

Good luck with your own upcoming surgeries, and thanks very much for your good wishes.

Oct 3, 2018 · Ostomy: Adapting to life after colostomy, ileostomy or urostomy in Ostomy

Hi! I had a bowel resection and colostomy on September 21 after two weeks of hospitalization and antibiotics. I was otherwise healthy with no medical history, and then on September 8 I had severe cramping, felt a shift, got a wave of cold from head to toe and started sweating profusely. Turns it I had diverticulitis, and probably diverticulosis for the past couple of years.

Anyway, as frustrating as being in hospital for 20 days was, things went relatively well considering the various complications I faced, and I was very well taken care of by a wonderful team of nurses.

Since I’ve been home, nearly a week, it seems that nothing has gone right.

I have a crease and my appliance leaks from there. I just met with my ostomy nurse yesterday and she put on a convex wafer for me. It’s holding up much better, but there is a bit of poop in my belly button. At least it’s not flowing out like with the flat wafers. I’m low on supplies, so I’ll wait until this evening to decide if it needs changing very badly.

On Sunday my surgical incision began weeping quite a lot, and I went to the ER where I was prescribed antibiotics.

Yesterday I had my first follow up with my surgeon. He took my staples out. A few hours later my incision began to separate, and it was back to the ER. From the time we noticed the separation to when I was treated it opened up significantly more. They packed it and put steri strips across as well as a sticky gauze dressing. I have an appointment tonight with the nurse care clinic for them to change out the dressings if need be. I suspect they will need to be as the weeping is soaking through the dressing.

My surgeon plans for me to have a new vacuum dressing applied in the next couple of days. I had one in hospital. He says this one will be a little higher quality so it’ll be less bothersome.

Anyway, I’m pretty frustrated overall. I’ve been in fairly good spirits the whole time, but near the end at the hospital and now at home I think my brain is catching up with what’s been happening, and I’m having a tough time. I’m not much of a crier or a complainer, but I’m so frustrated and a bit scared. And frustrated for my fiancée who has taken on so much and is just as helpless as I am with how to deal with all this new medical stuff. She’s so stressed. We both are.

I already see a psychiatrist regularly, so I do have that support. It’s just that this is the first time ever in my life that I’ve not had any say in anything to do with my body. I can’t do anything to really stop the incision from separating. I’m not good enough at changing appliances that I feel comfortable with the knowledge that I’m going to have to change the whole thing on my own for the first time probably today or tomorrow.

The plan is to have reversal surgery in about four months. Hopefully everything heals up well and it can happen.

So that is where I’m at. Not the greatest place and brand new to the world of medical issues and having zero control over what’s happening.

Thanks for listening.