I had a septal myectomy last August. I was down for about 4 weeks and had 6 weeks of cardiac rehab. I feel so much better. I wish him the best.
Member has chosen to not make this information public.
Member not yet following any Groups.
I followed much the same path. My oncologist came recommended by gynecologists (who happen to be my best friends) and by friends who had worked with him during their surgeries. I am confident that he's got my best interest in mind. If I wasn't dealing with both a history of blood clots and heart issues, He understood that my cardiologist wasn't comfortable with radiation and agreed with him, so a lumpectomy was ruled out.
The side effects I might be able to deal with but those, combined with my history and existing health concerns, have me leaning toward forgoing these drugs. Bone loss, heart issues, and blood clots are just too scary. Tuesday my husband and I sit down with the doctor. If the chances of reccurence aren't high, I'm going to decline. I agree that no one gets out alive, but I want my final years to be as good as they can be.
My mother was diagnosed at the same age I am (68). She had a mastectomy, no radiation or chemotherapy, and no long term therapy. I'm not sure that was even an option 34 years ago. She lived well for 20 more years and didn't have cancer when we lost her.
Unless the doctor can offer a compelling argument and after a second consultation with my gynecologists/friends, I'm leaning toward refusing a SERM or AI.
Can I ask what you take, how long you've been on it, and what the side effects are? Learning more about what to expect from real people will help me make a decision. Thanks much.
I had a SMX, Stage I, no lymph node involvement, four weeks ago. I'm HER2 Negative, ER Positive and PR Positive. I've had open heart surgery for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Afib. Many years ago (50 years) I had blood clots in my lungs attributed to birth control pills, so I've never taken hormones. I've read all the side effects and am inclined not to take these medications. Has anyone else opted not to follow their doctor's advice about this protocol?