Member has chosen to not make this information public.


Member not yet following any Pages.

Posts (6)

Apr 15, 2018 · Bronchiectasis with MAI (for the second time) in MAC & Bronchiectasis

The medications for M. Avium and Intracellulare are basically the same. I havn’t heard/read about the alternating of Doxy and Cipro for MAC as the first line of treatment. But, whatever works, why not. Only, I cant take the cipro due to some nerve problems.

Apr 15, 2018 · Bronchiectasis with MAI (for the second time) in MAC & Bronchiectasis

@windwalker …i had my susceptibility testing done…I am Intermediate to Ethambutol and Rifampin and susceptible to the Azith/Clarith. I am not too concerned about the intermediate result of,the other 2 antibiotics because it can still be effective for as long as the 3 antibiotics are taken together. There has been a study that the purpose of multi-therapy on NTM’s is to prevent developing resistance to the core treatment which is the macrolide. I will check your post on alternating antibiotics. Thanks!

P.S. What is the title of your post on alternating antibiotics? Thanks again!

Apr 15, 2018 · Bronchiectasis with MAI (for the second time) in MAC & Bronchiectasis

I was diagnosed in 2012. I am also doing the chest clearance 2x a day alternating Acapella and Lung Flute. i tried 3%, 7%, 9% and even 10%. I stay with the 7%. I do the chest clearance regularly even i do not feel any improvement from it because I thought I. Ight be worse if I do not do it. Even with the regular nebulization, I could not cough up phelgm. The only way for me to be tested is via Bronchoscopy. My fatigue goes and off, but not enough to bother me. It is the shortness of breath that gives me so much discomfort. My oxygen saturation is between 93-99 (very rarely at 93 and 99 but normally at 97%). I am on Spiriva and ProAir too…but i stopped the ProAir 2 days ago, though because it gives me throat irritation even with diligent gargling).

Apr 14, 2018 · Bronchiectasis with MAI (for the second time) in MAC & Bronchiectasis

Hi everyone. I am new in the group. Unfortunately, I am not new in these conditions which most, if not all of us here are dealing with. I was diagnosed in 2012 with M. Avium and Bronchiectasis. I wast treated for 18 months with “success”. I continue to see my doctor for monitoring until the infection came back in late 2016, this time the culture showed Intracellulare. Since the growth was minimal, my doctor decided to put me in watchful monitoring. Please take note all this time, my symptom is shortness of breath. In early 2017, we moved to another city which was closer to UF Health Gainesville. So, I transferred to another doctors. My new pulmo had me go through all the tests. The ct scan and PFT of 2017 compared to 2016 were not so bad, BUT if its compared to the 2015, there was relatively noticeable change. My doctor now opens the idea of going back to treatment. This is where I am now: struggling whether to go back or not. I want to be treated because my breathing is really getting harder…to put it in perspective, tasks that i can complete 6 months ago with relative ease, I am having difficulty completing them now. Yes, I can still exercise, but it has become really so hard. On the other hand, I am hesitant to be on treatment again because i already have side effects from the previous treatment: reduced hearing, eye problems and my stomach is messed up that I do not think it can tolerate the antibiotics. I have done quite a number of remedies to fix my stomach but its always distressed.
I am hoping there might be someone in the group who is/are in similar situations, i want to know some insights. Thank you.


@windwalker Hi Terri. My pulmonologist is Dr. Jorge Lascano and my rheumatologist is Dr. Westley Reeves. They both practice at Uf Health Gainesville.


Hello @sandysupermom, I have MAC (for the second time) and Bronchiectasis. I live in Ocala too. My first pulmo was in Jax but when we moved to Ocala, I transferred to UF Health Gainesville. My new doctor now is pulmonologist with a subspecialty on non-CF Bronchiectasis. I have been seeing him since October 2017. Based on what I see, so far, he has a wide knowledge about the my conditions.

I also see a Rheumatologist at UF Health. He is the head of the rheumatology dept. He has a team of Pulmonologist and Infectious Doctor. (i got my pulmo ahead of the rheumy so was not able to get into his team’s care.) So far, I am happy with my pulmo. I