Join Mayo Clinic for a lung health awareness event, “O2 and You: Supporting a Healthy Lung Environment,” on November 2 from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. in the Mayo Clinic Stephen and Barbara Slaggie Family Cancer Education Center, Gonda Building, Lobby Level, in Rochester, Minn. There will be presentations from lung health and lung cancer experts as well as educational exhibits and activities. Don’t miss your chance to walk through a giant, inflatable lung display!
Meet the Expert Presentations:
9:15 - 10:00 a.m. How do we Reduce Lung Cancer Mortality in the Next Decade?
- Otis Brawley, MD, Chief Medical Officer, American Cancer Society (ACS)
- Ellie Beaver, Minnesota Government Relations Director, ACS - Cancer Action Network
- Carla J. Nelson, Minnesota State Senator
10:15 - 10:45 a.m. Clearing the Air on E-cigarettes, Nicotine and Tobacco
- Therese Shumaker, M.S., M.A., Tobacco Treatment Specialist, Program Director, Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center
12:00 - 12:30 p.m. Lung Health: Answers from the Top of Mount Kilimanjaro
- Bruce Johnson, Ph.D., Consultant, Cardiopulmonary Physiology & Performance Lab, Mayo Clinic
12:30 - 1:00 p.m. The Environment, Lifestyle and Genetic Links in Lung Health
- Courtney Wheatley, Ph.D., Research Associate, Cardiovascular Diseases, Mayo Clinic
Education Exhibits and Activities: (9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m.)
- Ask the Expert: Discuss your lung cancer questions with provider experts; available 11-12 p.m.
- American Cancer Society: Find information to promote a healthy lung environment locally and nationally
- Breath Work with Gentle Yoga: Participate in 15-minute interactive wellness sessions; available 12-1 p.m.
- Lung Health Study: Be proactive about your lung health, learn how to be a study participant
- Nicotine Dependence Center: Learn about risks of first, second and third hand smoke, e-cigarettes, & vaping
- Mayo Clinic Cancer Education Center: Learn about lung cancer prevention, treatment and research
- Olmsted Public Health Department: Protect yourself from harmful environmental exposures such as radon
- Wortman Lung Cancer Foundation: Register for the November 4th Walk/Run event and #First2Burst balloon challenge, also by visiting https://wortmanlungcancerfoundation.org/