Share this:
secd
@secd

ulcerative colitis

Posted by @secd, Apr 8, 2017

colonoscopy diagnosed ulcerative colitis. first flare in 9 years. loose stool and blood resolved with prednisone and an increase in my oral asacol. now i feel like i am constipated. bm every three days that is soft and will go aboot 5 times after not going for three days. any suggestons?

The microbial drug Mutaflor might be as effective as Asacol for the treatment of ulcerative colitis.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4917610/ Scaldaferri, F., Gerardi, V., Mangiola, F., Lopetuso, L.R., Pizzoferrato, M., Petito, V., Papa, A., Stojanovic, J., Poscia, A., Cammarota, G. and Gasbarrini, A., 2016. Role and mechanisms of action of Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 in the maintenance of remission in ulcerative colitis patients: an update. World Journal of Gastroenterology, 22(24), p.5505.

Welcome to Connect, @secd,

Apologies for the tardy response, but I’m so glad you’ve joined us.
You may wish to go through this discussion, I have “Ulcerative colitis and wondered if anyone here has it,” http://mayocl.in/2o2rohS, so that you can meet @jkstanley @sherw @missie @bmaske @frankkirsch @christo56 @cdancer2 @miraklwkr and @dongee.

I’m also tagging @lisabeans @betted @kkkk @lynnes @nancyj1221 @greciamg @mouser @eddiesrp @susieqpants, with the hope that they will return to share their experiences about ulcerative colitis.

I would sincerely encourage you to view Mayo Clinic’s Inflammatory Bowel Disease blog, where you can read and listen to Mayo experts discuss the latest advancements in ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.

@secd, what are your major stressors? Have you made significant changes to your diet?

I have had irritable bowel most of my life; I am 69 now. (My mother, who is 94, had it, too, and now has ulcerative colitis and was taking Pentassa but now has to switch to another medicine because of low kidney function. Pentassa is very expensive, and I suppose the new medicine will be expensive also. She had 16 inches of her bowels removed about ten years ago and had blood transfusions because of bleeding from diverticulitis. She was not diagnosed with ulcerative colitis until she saw a gastrointerologist a few years ago.)

When in my 20s, my problems started with raw onions, canned orange juice, and canned corn. Now High Fructose Corn syrup really bothers me, causing me to have nausea and really watery diarrhea and gas. Eating out is usually a disaster because so many foods contain HFC: sauces, sodas, bread, crackers, ketchup, condiments, dressings, juice, anything that substitutes HFC instead of sugar or regular corn syrup. Fiber bothers me, so I have to have vegetables very well cooked and avoid apple and potato peels. I can eat oranges, though. Cherries usually upset my stomach, but the mushier, well cooked fruits and vegetables are, the better it goes down. When traveling, I avoid the bothersome foods and am on a very limited diet. Lactose bothers my bowels, also. I drink Lactaid Milk, which has no lactose, and have started also eating ice cream with no lactose.

When I travel, I have to take some of my own foods or eat really bland, plain foods. When shopping, I have to read the ingredients on all of the labels. Some foods say on the front label, “No HFC.” To deal with the diarrhea, I take Pepto-Bismol. For gas and nausea, I take Gas-X strips. For indigestion, I take Tums. When constantly feeling like having to have a bowel movement, I take Immodium A-D but do NOT take Pepto-Bismol with the Immodium A-D, or I get badly constipated. Then it is time to drink prune juice! This has been the only way I can even travel anywhere. I also wear CVS Women’s Panties when I go anywhere so I do not have an embarrassing accident. When attending events, I scope out the location of the women’s restroom in case I have to get there quickly and I avoid the foods. If the diarrhea is really bad, I stay home and do not eat until my bowels/stomach settle down. It is a real hassle to try to keep it under control. Sometimes, if I am lucky, there will be a fairly long period of time (watching carefully what I eat) before I have another spell, usually caused by an offending food or ingredient.

I would not wish bowel problems on anyone! Good luck to anyone having these kind of problems! Most doctors do not seem to know how to deal with it. A gastrointerologist is definitely needed.

@kkkk

I have had irritable bowel most of my life; I am 69 now. (My mother, who is 94, had it, too, and now has ulcerative colitis and was taking Pentassa but now has to switch to another medicine because of low kidney function. Pentassa is very expensive, and I suppose the new medicine will be expensive also. She had 16 inches of her bowels removed about ten years ago and had blood transfusions because of bleeding from diverticulitis. She was not diagnosed with ulcerative colitis until she saw a gastrointerologist a few years ago.)

When in my 20s, my problems started with raw onions, canned orange juice, and canned corn. Now High Fructose Corn syrup really bothers me, causing me to have nausea and really watery diarrhea and gas. Eating out is usually a disaster because so many foods contain HFC: sauces, sodas, bread, crackers, ketchup, condiments, dressings, juice, anything that substitutes HFC instead of sugar or regular corn syrup. Fiber bothers me, so I have to have vegetables very well cooked and avoid apple and potato peels. I can eat oranges, though. Cherries usually upset my stomach, but the mushier, well cooked fruits and vegetables are, the better it goes down. When traveling, I avoid the bothersome foods and am on a very limited diet. Lactose bothers my bowels, also. I drink Lactaid Milk, which has no lactose, and have started also eating ice cream with no lactose.

When I travel, I have to take some of my own foods or eat really bland, plain foods. When shopping, I have to read the ingredients on all of the labels. Some foods say on the front label, “No HFC.” To deal with the diarrhea, I take Pepto-Bismol. For gas and nausea, I take Gas-X strips. For indigestion, I take Tums. When constantly feeling like having to have a bowel movement, I take Immodium A-D but do NOT take Pepto-Bismol with the Immodium A-D, or I get badly constipated. Then it is time to drink prune juice! This has been the only way I can even travel anywhere. I also wear CVS Women’s Panties when I go anywhere so I do not have an embarrassing accident. When attending events, I scope out the location of the women’s restroom in case I have to get there quickly and I avoid the foods. If the diarrhea is really bad, I stay home and do not eat until my bowels/stomach settle down. It is a real hassle to try to keep it under control. Sometimes, if I am lucky, there will be a fairly long period of time (watching carefully what I eat) before I have another spell, usually caused by an offending food or ingredient.

I would not wish bowel problems on anyone! Good luck to anyone having these kind of problems! Most doctors do not seem to know how to deal with it. A gastrointerologist is definitely needed.

Jump to this post

@kkkk, hi my name is Judy. I was diagnosed with IBS-C at 21 years old. I had just gotten married and had my cirst baby. I blame my husband for it. hahah. Anyway, no its not much fun is it. I think what i hate the most is being constipated and bloated all the time. If i hadnt been put on Bentyl i dont think i could have borne it. Have you ever tried it? It relaxes
the stomach. Ive also had diabetes for about 12-13 years, so now i also have gastroparesis and that means i can go pretty much all day without eating. You would think i would be skinny but im not. It seems the only way i.can lose wt is if im sick. Hey if you ever want to talk about war stories just let me know. Im usually around somewhere. Judy
@danybegood

@kkkk

Jump to this post

Bentyl is probably for constipation-type IBS. Mine is the diarrhea kind. It really is very irritating and annoying to have to deal with it all of the time. I know. You do have my sympathy. It would be really great if some doctor would figure it out.

Please login or register to post a reply.