Side effects and benefits of Gabapentin

Posted by spondi65 @spondi64, Jan 6, 2020

My Dr prescribed Gabapentin 300mg caps last Friday. I took one at bedtime & woke up at 3:30a.m. in horrible pain. Has anyone else experenced anything like this?

I too have nerve pain. It comes and goes. Sometimes it's unbearable, sometimes it is absent. I took lyrica, up to 1200 mgs. per day for 3 years. When I stopped, I noticed no difference. I still have the pain, no more no less than when on lyrica. I had a similar experience with Neurontin, a very similar forerunner to lyrica. The really hard thing about pain and knowing what does and doesn't work is the way it can come and go. It's absence often leads us to believe something we did worked. Often that is th3e case but you can never be sure without carefully analyzing the frequency of pain and what contributing factors affect you. Anxiety, depression, stress, exercise, diet and other health issues are only a few factors that go into the equation. Never forget what the medical community refers to and often dismisses is the "placebo effect". I have practiced Qigong for many years and I know the body has some ability to heal itself given the right mindset. I also believe that the "placebo effect " is really a reflection of that ability. Don't sell it short. Your belief that what you are doing will help you is of the utmost importance no matter what you do or take.

@wsh66

I too have nerve pain. It comes and goes. Sometimes it's unbearable, sometimes it is absent. I took lyrica, up to 1200 mgs. per day for 3 years. When I stopped, I noticed no difference. I still have the pain, no more no less than when on lyrica. I had a similar experience with Neurontin, a very similar forerunner to lyrica. The really hard thing about pain and knowing what does and doesn't work is the way it can come and go. It's absence often leads us to believe something we did worked. Often that is th3e case but you can never be sure without carefully analyzing the frequency of pain and what contributing factors affect you. Anxiety, depression, stress, exercise, diet and other health issues are only a few factors that go into the equation. Never forget what the medical community refers to and often dismisses is the "placebo effect". I have practiced Qigong for many years and I know the body has some ability to heal itself given the right mindset. I also believe that the "placebo effect " is really a reflection of that ability. Don't sell it short. Your belief that what you are doing will help you is of the utmost importance no matter what you do or take.

Jump to this post

You have spoken very powerful words. Thank you for presenting them with such truth and honesty. I'm always pleased when someone else articulates my thoughts!
Hope you are well today.
~Rachel

@iceblue

@lisakeuhl – If you don't know what 'nerve pain' is, consider yourself lucky. I have Small Fibre Neuropathy, and when it is not under control the pain is all-consuming. I experience burning pain in my feet (Burning Foot Syndrome) with occasional stabbing pain that feels like someone is jabbing a skewer into my feet. I have been on Gabapentin for about 4 months – and it DOES work to calm the nerve pain. It does not cure the underlying nerve damage, but it reduces the pain. I can now walk without wanting to cry. I can keep my feet still while I sit. I can sleep without waking up due to the pain, and I no longer keep pain meds on my night stand.

The drug is far from perfect. I have been playing with the dosage, and for the time being I am holding at 200 mg/day – which is extremely low. I supplement with OTC pain meds. My dosage is low because in higher amounts, it has caused night time anxiety – but that did not start to happen until my brother died 2 months ago, so perhaps that is what is causing the anxiety. Time will tell, as I will likely increase the dosage at some point so I can hopefully reduce the amount of OTC drugs I am taking every day.

Jump to this post

I take 2300 mg of gabapentin daily for nerve pain and no relief I’m about to throw it away

@vklittle61

I take 2300 mg of gabapentin daily for nerve pain and no relief I’m about to throw it away

Jump to this post

Yikes!!! I am curious to know how long you have been on Gabapentin. And do you have any side effects from taking that amount?

I made an error it’s 2400 and I guess about a year I don’t see any improvements but doc says to keep taking it I’m Still in excruciating pain while taking it so what’s the point side effects I believe are I feel like my joints are getting weaker

@vklittle61

I made an error it’s 2400 and I guess about a year I don’t see any improvements but doc says to keep taking it I’m Still in excruciating pain while taking it so what’s the point side effects I believe are I feel like my joints are getting weaker

Jump to this post

Hello. I feel awful for you and understand completely your frustration of not receiving adequate pain relief. I suffer from Small Fiber Polyneuropathy and back when it all started, my pain was unmanageable. My PCP is who agreed to 5mg of hydrocodone. For me, it took alot of game playing between Gaba and Lyrica. I finally landed on Lyrica which I now tolerate well. The thing is…one medication does not always do enough. Do you have a PCP? Can you pull them into your pain management plan? It sounds as if you really need additional help. Opiods are a huge challenge as you may know and Drs do not want to push them now a days. Maybe there is another course if action that can help you. Medical marijuana perhaps, off label medications. Don't back down. If your pain is that severe, go to Urgent Care. All my best wishes for you to find the relief you need soon.
Rachel

@vklittle61

Jump to this post

@vklittle61 – My heart goes out to you! Chronic pain is such a burden 🙁 I'm wondering if you have an advocate or supportive other that you can take to your medical appointments with you. I would want to know WHY my doctor is urging me to stay on a specific medication that is not beneficial – while my pain is negatively impacting the quality of my life.

My own experience is that when I am really sick and unable to process information very well, I benefit from having my husband with me at medical appointments so he can ask questions, respond to explanations, etc. on my behalf – as necessary. And to be honest, once or twice over the years I have taken him with me because I did not feel like my doctor was listening to me or taking me seriously, and it can really make a big difference to have a second party in the room at times like that.

@rwinney My nerve pain bothers me more at night I can tolerate it during the day I take 1200 @night then i can sleep for 7hrs ,during day when I'm up I use Epsom salts and peanut oil not the kind over the counter but through Base.com it has more nutrition in it Same for my back and knees I swear this combination has really helped me Have a blessed day Linda

@iceblue

@vklittle61 – My heart goes out to you! Chronic pain is such a burden 🙁 I'm wondering if you have an advocate or supportive other that you can take to your medical appointments with you. I would want to know WHY my doctor is urging me to stay on a specific medication that is not beneficial – while my pain is negatively impacting the quality of my life.

My own experience is that when I am really sick and unable to process information very well, I benefit from having my husband with me at medical appointments so he can ask questions, respond to explanations, etc. on my behalf – as necessary. And to be honest, once or twice over the years I have taken him with me because I did not feel like my doctor was listening to me or taking me seriously, and it can really make a big difference to have a second party in the room at times like that.

Jump to this post

Touche! Great advice. What a game changer it was for me having my husband. Other relatives have gone as well when I felt it was needed because I was so overwhelmed. A friend or advocate is also a good idea.

@lioness

@rwinney My nerve pain bothers me more at night I can tolerate it during the day I take 1200 @night then i can sleep for 7hrs ,during day when I'm up I use Epsom salts and peanut oil not the kind over the counter but through Base.com it has more nutrition in it Same for my back and knees I swear this combination has really helped me Have a blessed day Linda

Jump to this post

Thanks Linda! You as well. ⚘

@lioness

Jump to this post

@rwinney It's Baar.com not base

@lioness

@rwinney It's Baar.com not base

Jump to this post

ok thank you

Please sign in or register to post a reply.
  Request Appointment